What do you recommend?

OK...my son is now over a year old and I am slowly weaning him from breast feeding. When he turned 1, I switched him to three feedings. When he hit 13 months, I switched to 2 feedings. And when he turns 14 months, it'll be one feeding and then it will be none.

Now, he is eating great. He eats LOTS of fruits and vegetables. He's a little pickier with his meats but he likes turkey dogs and hamburger patties or meatloaf. He occasionally eats chicken. However, I worry that as he decreases his quantity of breastfeeding, that he isn't going to be getting enough nutrients. He absolutely loathes formula and I don't think I could get him to drink that even once a day. Does anyone have any recommendations?

**Please do not suggest continuing breastfeeding. I have made it past a year and have made my decision to wean him. It was not an easy decision to make but its made.

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 2:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at one year, with as much as he eats he is getting plenty of nutrients!! Introduce cows milk, that will give a lot of nutrients and you can always try childrens vitamins to help supplement the rest. He definitely doesnt need formula at that age so dont worry yourself about that!! He is a perfectly normal one year old and you are doing everything absolutely right! He will still get his nutrients from everything he takes in so try not to worry yourself!! =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• well, he's over 1, he doesn't need formula. Try milk.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I recommend that you do what feels right to you. If he's eating great, he'll be just fine. And when you make the switch to milk, he'll adjust to that as well.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• oh and if you are worried about nutrients, they make chewable & liquid vitamins for kids
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Now that he's eating, he should be fine as long as you are giving him nutritious foods like fruits and veggies and you said he really does well with them. I switched my DS (who just hit 14 months) to milk at 12 months. He gets it with each meal.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010