what are ketones in the urine and what does it mean a 24 hour urine test?

if they find them again I will have to do a 24 hour urine test.

ClaireWithChild

Asked by ClaireWithChild at 3:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not sure what ketones are but a 24 hour uri test is where they give you this plastice jug and everytime you pee you have to pour it in there over the 24 hour period and then turn it in when your done.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• A 24 hour urine test is when you collect your urine for 24 hours for them to check for ketones. Several different things may cause ketones which may be harmful to the baby.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Ketones
    Ketones are produced when the body starts breaking down stored or ingested fat for energy. This can happen when you're not getting enough carbohydrates (your body's usual source of energy).

If you're suffering from severe nausea and vomiting or you've lost weight, your practitioner may check your urine for ketones. If your ketone reading is high and you can't keep any food or liquid down, you may need intravenous fluids and medication. If ketones are found in combination with sugar, it could be a sign of diabetes.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_urine-tests-during-pregnancy_1699.bc
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• EW! That is nasty! I am not keeping my pee for 24 hours! God I hope I don't have to do this. Everyone pray my visit tomorrow is ketone free so I don't have to. I'm not eating well because I feel like crap. I have a kidney infection and I still get sick. I have only gained 8 pounds.
    ClaireWithChild

Comment by ClaireWithChild (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It's really not that bad. I've had to do it several times due to previous kidney damage. I only gained 11 lbs throughout my entire pregnancy, my morning sickness lasted the entire 9 months - as long as your dr isn't worried about your weight, there shouldn't be an issue.

Answer by missanc at 6:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, it IS nasty, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do, right? I had to do it with one of my pregnancies because my blood pressure was elevated and the doctor was watching for preeclampsia. I will keep you in my prayers. How far along are you in your pregnancy?
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2010