Are you glad kids dont understand how poor you are...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes. I want her to understand that she can't have everything she wants but I never want her to know just how bad off we are sometimes. I grew up hearing "we can't afford that" or "you're putting us in the poorhouse" and I always felt so guilty and bad for everything. I mean, I'd barely touch dinner because we were poor and I didn't want to waste money on myself. I wouldn't tell my parents when I outgrew my underwear because I thought I would anger them and upset them by asking for bigger ones.
    It's a fine line though between letting your kids know that you aren't rich and keeping some of it from them. She knows we don't have as much money as some people and she also knows that there are a lot of things we can have and do that is low cost to nothing.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Unfortunately mine do... its more embarassing that way! My kids will ask me in the check out line "can we afford to get one candy bar and share it." While the question is very sweet and considerate it also announces to everyone else how poor we are... = )
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No, I'm glad that she's learning right from the start that the things we want in life aren't gifted to her, that it's important to work hard to take care of our needs. I like that she's learning to be frugal and make money-smart choices. I would never want to raise a child who feels entitled to have their every desire handed to them.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have teens and I think its super important for them to understand that I dont always have the funds they want. Just the way it is sometimes. I think its helping to make them more aware and responsible with money.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My 6 year old is aware, but the other two are not. She is to the point where she is really grasping that we don't have money for everything she sees so she'll ask, "Momma, do we have money for that?" Most of the time the answer is, "No, we don't have money for that." Every once in a while we get to go for a treat (an ice cream at Dairy Queen or a hamburger at McDonalds). Both my 6 and 4 year olds get excited when we are able to go. Sometimes she will see something at the store and say, "I wish we had money for that." I usually respond to that one with, "Well, save up your money and you can come back and buy it yourself."
    PlaycareMommie

Answer by PlaycareMommie at 3:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have a healthy relationship with our financial standing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yeah, kiwi, I remember being scared to ask for paper for school. I would run out for weeks because saying I needed a dollar pack of paper would produce the most awful consequences.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes I am and I'm hoping by time he does understand I won't be poor.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You'd be surprised what kids understand. They're a lot more intuitive then you may realize.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010