Growing pains?

So, the past couple of nights my daughter has been waking up crying that her knees, legs hurt. She had an x-ray not too long ago, so Im pretty sure that its nothing serious and there's never any swelling. Could this be "growing pains"? Have any of you guys delt with this and are some kids just worse than others? I've started letting her eat a banana before she goes to bed to help her from cramping up at night-old trick, but I just wanted to get some other opinions about this as well. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• Its rare for a child to actually experience growing pains...but my oldest daughter did. She is just so tall and thin that her bones were growing at a quiker rate than the rest of her body. My uncle happened to be an orthopedic surgeon and confirmed that she did infact have growing pains. He taught me some massages to do before bed or when the pain would flair up. Give the Doc that did her x-rays a call and see what he reccomends.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 10:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son used to wake up crying almost every night that his legs hurt behind his knees. We also got an x-ray. Nothing was wrong. So I started looking at his feet and they seemed to slightly turn in. I got inserts for his shoes. I get special catalogs for my profession so I knew what to get. Maybe your doctor can check them out or suggest someone that can. My son actually loved them and stopped waking up at night.
    funmom09

Answer by funmom09 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had a similar problem myself as a child and it turned out to be shin splints. For me, when they get bad it can hurt in my knees and/or ankles as well and usually started at night while I was sleeping. You might try having her stretch her legs daily, especially ones that stretch the calf muscle. That's what the doctors had me do and it still helps.
    Rachael420

Answer by Rachael420 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My nephew did this. He grew like two inches in two months. He would cry over his feet hurting and his knees "cramping."
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Oh man do I remember those pains. My knees and it felt like my actual bones were hurting. My mom took me to two different doctors and the second doctor just looked at me and said,"Honey...it looks like growing pains" They hurt so bad. I would take tyenol pm before bed so that I could get sleep at night.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 11:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• my son gets horrible growing pains during growth spurts - a warm bath before bed helps, as well as a dose of tylenol before bed - otherwise if he wakes up screaming (yes this happens often) then I give him more tylenol and cuddle until the pain subsides enough he can sleep again. warm compresses and massages on his legs help too.
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 12:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes, this happens to my almost-4-yr-old daughter, but I have no idea if it's growing pains. She wakes up crying once in a while, and when I go into her room she'll be sitting up holding her knees.
    She'll ask for ice, so I give her one of these freezer koozie things that we have...they're softer than an ice pack and they melt quickly (I'm concerned about putting ice on her knees, but I want her to have relief, so it's kind of a compromise). I also give her some Motrin.
    Anonymous