Does anyone have Plantar Facitus ?

I have had a cortizone shot in my foot but it only lasted 24hrs . What else can you use ?

wentworth99

Asked by wentworth99 at 3:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Health

• Are you talking about plantar fasciitis? If so, I have that. I never got a shot for it though. My doctor gave me a list of exerscises and stretches to do every day. I also have to wear only high quality shoes with excellent arch support (no high heels, no going bare feet, and no sandals or flip flops). If you are talking about plantar fasciitis, I can tell you about the exercises and stretches (they're very helpful). There are also fancy braces you can wear at night if its really bad.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Exercises. Do some research on the excercises or ask your doctor. Cortisone is not good for you, can be dangerous and doesn't really treat the problem, it just offers temporary relief. My sister has this problem and I believe I may have it also (due to an injury a few years ago). The shoes you wear make a difference as well which you can also speak to your doctor about. My sister had a doctor who went straight to cortisone without even discussing the exercises or the shoes. She switched doctors and has found one who has helped her to treat the problem instead of the symptoms.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The best remedy I know of is purchasing proper shoe inserts, and purchasing an excellent pair of sneakers that align your walking gait and minimize heel strike impact when walking or running.

Then include LOTS of stretching--calf and toe/arch stretches. The simplest one you can do virtually anytime and anywhere is standing on the edge of a stair step by just your toes, and going up on your toes as high as possible (holding the hand rail), and lowering your heels as low as possible (below the level of the stair) until you feel the pull in your heel (gastrocnemius and soleus muscles and Achilles Tendon). Repeat often, first with two feet then one foot at a time.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yes that is it ! sorry about the spelling. I went to the foot Dr. a few weeks ago and he gave me a cortizone shot in my heel. It only lasted such a short time. I am taking Advil around the clock for it and I am putting ice on it . I is still throbbing :( IDK what to do about it.
    wentworth99

Comment by wentworth99 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I had it so bad (both feet) that I could barely walk when I got out of bed in the morning. I went to the podiatrist - he prescribed stretches and orthodics. Honestly, I didn't want to wear the orthodics, so I stretched everyday, before I got up out of bed and several times throughout the day. After 6 weeks, I stretched those muscles to the point that I never have pain anymore. I rolled my insteps on frozen bottles of water, have a rope to pull my toes toward me while my leg is stretched laying down, and I was always stretching my foot.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Oops - forgot to mention that I also had the cortisone shots, and they wrapped my right foot for me (the worst one). The wrapping did help, but the stretches were the magic bullet.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• thank you so much
    wentworth99

Comment by wentworth99 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I had physical therapy on mine. And after that I continued with the stretches and exercises.

Answer by Bmat at 4:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Here are some stretches my doctor recommended I do.

http://www.endurancesports.com/heelpain.asp

She also told me to walk on the balls of my feet, sides of my feet, and on my heels, ten steps three times a day.
    And personally, if you sleep on your tummy, put a log shaped pillow (or scrunch up a blanket to that shape, or use a stuffed animal) underneath your ankles so your feet are not pointed when you sleep. Putting the pillow (or whatever) under your ankles (if you sleep on your tummy) allows your feet hang out and chill. :) I've never seen it online or heard it suggested or anything, I just discovered it from having it myself. :)
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree with all of the other posters about stretching and good quality shoes.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2010