My 11 month old DD won't sleep through the night. HELP!

She is about 80% breast fed still. She isn't interested in real food all that much. So half way through the night she ALWAYS wakes up to breast feed. I'm not sure what to do. She also screams bloody murder when I lay her down by herself at night and nap times. When I try to let her cry it out she crys, literally, for hours. My first DD was so much easier. She slept on her own all night from about 4 months. I'm losing sleep and my sanity. Any ideas?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 3:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have bad news for you. Many babies don't sleep through the night until well past their first birthdays.

If you co-sleep, you don't have to completely wake up to feed her, and you can sleep/doze while she eats.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes most babies don't sleep through the night until after the first birthday. But I look at it this way they will sleep through the night soon or later. If you could try to sleep when it is naptime for the kids or something? I don't know. It may also be not that she is huundry in the middle of the night, but because she wants the security. My youngest slept through the night at 3 months old and ever since that first time sleeping through the night I haven't had probelms with her since. My oldest now 5 however slept through the night a couple of times when she was 3 and 5 months old, but she wouldn't if she could help it. She didn'ty start achually sleeping through the night until she was 18 months old. She took a cup with her to bed so she would wake in the night for that cup and if it was empty then she would wake me up crying for her cup. Once she was off the cup at bedtime it was easier so maybe she is done CONT
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• nursing it will be easier. But I promise they do sleep through the night soon or later
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Most babies do not sleep through the night until after 1 and after that "sleeping through the night" for them is 8 hours for most.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Just be glad it's only once a night. My son was waking up as often as 5 times a night til he was 2.5 - and he wasn't nursing or anything. At 2.5 it came to a sudden halt, pretty much.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much. In fact, we adults wake a night at least once even if we don't remember.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Do you just copy and paste you answers amileegirl?!?!?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Anon, there becomes a point where some of us can write it out by rote because the answer is forever the same! Ann, the only thing that makes ANYONE sleep short of medication is the need to sleep. And that need varies for every person. No more comparing your babies; it's the road to madness!

You can check out The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on Aug. 2, 2010