Is it alright for your son and daughter to each have a friend spend the night at the same time?

I have a son who is 14 and in the 8th grade and a daughter that is 12 and in the 7th grade. They are practically twins and are very close, both very involved in athletics and organizations and in all honors (Pre AP and AP classes). They are good kids, really fun to be around. They have alot of friends, the majority of whom are all friends with each other. They all go to the beach, movies, bowling and to parties together. Recently, well, we will just say that 'eyebrows have been raised' about them each having a friend stay over at the same time. Nothing has ever happened to cause an issue, but even my husband is jumping on the bandwagon with this one saying no more sleepovers....what gives?? I trust my kids. Am I being too naive about this?

-kelli-

Asked by -kelli- at 10:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• That is so funny, it brings back old memories. My girl friend had a brother one yr older we used to sleep out with her brother & his friends. Nothing ever happened or even close to happening. We were just friends, not drinking , no drugs, just a lot of stories, funny jokes. I will say that her dad showed up at different times & we never new when. I now bad things go on with teens, but on the other hand, sit down with your kids mom & dad & talk. Don't listen to other people,kissing you are the ones that now your kids. If you feel uncomfortable then put a stop to it.

Tinkerbell3396

Answer by Tinkerbell3396 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• A mutual agreement of both parents is better, first of all.
    If there haven't been any problems in the past, there
    shouldn't be no reason for them to both have a sleep
    over. It it's a food, drink, issue start asking the kids that
    sleep over to help with that sort of stuff.
    strozilove

Answer by strozilove at 10:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I dont quite understand what the difference is. If your son has a friend or your daughter has a friend at different times, verses them having friends together. What is hubby afraid will happen? If something were to happen, then it would regardless. I think it would be a better idea to have them both have a friend rather than one of each. LOL I think you hubby is just being over protective. Maybe give it a try and see how it goes. Im sure it would be fine. Oh I can't wait for those days (joking)
    Anonymous

• Im just speaking my opinion. I was a bad teenager! And your kids are not going to come up to you and say hey mom guess what...... we are up to something. Plus it may not be your kids but maybe it could be their friends messing around. To be on the safe side I would assign seperate days.
    Anangelsmommy7

Answer by Anangelsmommy7 at 10:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I wouldn't take the chance. Separate days is better.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• if you trust your kids then i would let there friends stay over but keep an extra eye on them and have a talk with them and give them rules. tell them if they break the rules that there will never be friends over again.
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think you're being a little naive. I had a friend in high school who had an older brother. They would both have friends over at once. We all knew each other because we all played p/c games, and video games. None of them were bad kids (I was the "bad one" lol) We would all drink their parents vodka, and screw each other. So even good kids can get crazy ideas into their heads like sneaking alcohol, and having sex with multiple partners.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 12:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't see the big issue... yes bad things happen... But chances are they will anyway. I, personally, would rather it was at my house than someone elses...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you trust your kids and the kids that are spending the night.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I see nothing wrong with your son and your daughter both having friends sleep over at the same time.  However, they should not sleep in the same room and parents should be aware.  It might be a good idea to have your son and daughter to have friends sleep over on different days.  This way there will be no problems.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2008