Why is homework neccessary ?

What on earth are they doing all day that they must send home hours of homework ? Why does my time with my child need to be dictated by the school? I want to read to my child talk to them go for a walk , play a game , What about sports ? I think it is just wrong that they cant leave school at school ,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hate how much homework they have (there are nights my 2nd grader has 2 hours of homework!) but I don't think they should do away with it all together. There are plenty of parents who would not be involved in their childs education at all were it not for homework. Also, in other countries they go to school 10 hours a day. How are our kids supposed to compete with those kids? I'm not saying I don't understand where you are coming from, but there are logical reasons for homework.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I am guessing if has something to do with helping them not to forget what they learned that day.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• With classrooms sizes being 20-30 kids I can tell you that 1/3 of their time is spent giving direction to unruly children: "Johnny sit down"; "Janey, no talking", etc. Not only is it spent giving that kind of direction it's spent transitioning from one activity to the next, bathroom breaks, going to gym class, going to art class, music class, etc. Most school days are 6 hours (at least the ones here). 1 hour of that is lunch/recess. So that leaves 5 hours for learning. Take of 1/3 of the time because of disciple issues and you have only 3.5 hours left. 1 hour of that is for library time, music time, art, gym, etc. So now there is only 2.5 hours left. In those 2.5 hours the teacher needs to teach, math, reading, science, spelling, social studies, etc. Really there isn't enough time; that's why there is homework.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It's also interesting to note how the homework time is nearly the same amount of time spent disciplining children and/or transitioning from one activity to the next.

Teachers can easily spend 1-2 hours of their day disciplining and/or transitioning children from one activity to the next and students can easily have 1-2 hours of homework every night.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree, your family time should not be dictated by the school! That's why we homeschool! I teach two kids everyday in 3-4 hours and then the rest of the day is ours! By the way, they excel on equivalency tests!
    Anonymous

• That is why so many home educated kids do so well and are close to their parents and siblings. It has been shown what it takes the school system 12+ years to teach what can actually be covered in less than four due to the above mentioned problems. 1/3 of 12 is 4:-) My three are glad they were home educated. I am glad we were able to.....

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I don't know, but that is one reason why I want to homeschool. I think 6 to 7 hour days are too long for kids to be in school to begin with, and then add homework on top of it, and I think it's just WAY too much! My oldest is only 3 so I've got a while before I really have to decide, but I really want to try homeschooling.
    JenEliBella

Answer by JenEliBella at 12:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When my son was in the SECOND grade, every Friday he brought home SO MUCH homework that I would sit down Friday evening with him and it took us till suppertime with me coaching him, to get part of his papers done. Then we sat at the table all day Saturday, then Sunday afternoon after we got home from church till bedtime to get his homework finished. This happened EVERY weekend. I am SO GLAD I pulled my kids out of that rat race and homeschooled them. My son was the top reader, speller and had the best penmanship in his second grade class. Why? Because I taught him those things at home. I figured, since I was teaching him better skills at home anyway, why put him through the aggravation of all that homework? Our time is our own now, no one dictates what we do at what time of day, and I have extremely happy kids. No more homework!!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 12:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It's not . . . study after study has shown that there is no real benefit to doing homework until an individual hits his/her college years.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My son's teacher (3rd grade) gives homework for the kids to learn personal responsibility. She does not overload with homework--spelling, math, sometimes an extra worksheet (social studies, sometimes) and he has to read for 20 minutes each night. She checks the homework, and if it's not done, the child has to eat lunch in the classroom, finish the homework, then go outside for recess.

All together, he has about an hour of homework each night. If he has a test to study for, she gives them less written homework that night so they can spend their time reviewing for the test.
    peanutmom

Answer by peanutmom at 8:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2008