PLEASE HELP MY SON IS SICK

My son has a fever on 101.6 and has had it all day, i have given him medicine and he still has it. I am worried cause his doctor is not in till monday. What can i do to bring the fever down and should i take him to the er. Thanks

Amanda9366

Asked by Amanda9366 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go buy infant fever-all...its a suppository. If that doesn't work go straight to the ER.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 10:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Put him in a lukewarm bath, dress him in nothing but a diaper afterwards, and feed him some popsicles or drinks with ice in them.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I know this may sound mean, but if what megmckn said doesnt work(great idea), you can strip him to his diaper and take luke-warm water to cool water and use washcoths and lay on him around his neck, back and stomach. You can also rub alcohol on his feet while doing this. They hate it, but the hospital will probably do the same. They did for my little girl when she was an infant and I hated it. Id rather her be at home having to deal with this rather than an icky hospital. Just try it, its not cruel, remember you are doing whats best to help him. Just remember not to let the water get too cold. Hes gonna scream reguardless, but it ussually works. If after 30 minutes it hasnt worked, then yes, take him to ER.
    Anonymous

• a child even a baby can go for 2-3 days with a fever like that is it gets to 103-105 then i would really worry. just give him tylenol of one of those suppository things i never used them but my sis did with her daughter and it was the only thin g that would bring her fever down.
    Anonymous

• •  If your baby is less than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4 degrees F (38 degrees C) or higher, call the doctor immediately. A baby this young needs to be checked for serious infection or disease.

•  For a baby between 3 and 6 months old, call if his temperature reaches 101 degrees F (38.3 degrees C) or higher.

•  If your baby is 6 months or older, call if his fever reaches 103 degrees F (39.4 degrees C) or higher.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_fever_84.bc

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• You can alternate between tylenol and motrin. Every 2 hours, 1st tylenol, then 2 hours later give the motrin, then 2 hrs. later go back to the tylenol. You could do the alternating every 3 hrs instead of every 2 hrs too. I did this this week because my daughter was running a fever. Her fever went down to about 100.5, but it took about 1.5 days and she is better now.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 12:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• There are a lot of different types of advice on here, but because his fever is a low grade, I would not use any intervention at all. Cool baths often cause a temperature spike, because your body temperature is trying to kill the virus in the body, and by trying to cool the skin, you are making the symptoms worse. Tylenol and motrin are great, if the baby is incredibly uncomfortable, or you are that worried. Typically, letting the fever run its course is the best option in the world. The child gets over their illness faster if you let the body do its job. But, that is my opinion. Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• well ur actually supposed to take him to the hospital when their temp is at 101. they take babies ASAP at only that temp and give them a shot that takes it away fast. my son had a temp off 100.1 or something like that when he was about 5 months old and thats wat they told. well they actually told me i they would normally not even take me unless its a 101 temp but they took him cuz he was really young. Also, vapor rub is realllyyyy good for them. forget the doctor why are u waitin ggo to the hospital thats why their open too. trust me they will give him a shot and his temp will go down so fast and the poor thing will sleep very well.
    MomiOn07

Answer by MomiOn07 at 2:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2008