Need a answer

My dh bought gave me a computer for a christmas gift, which his sister charged on her charge card with the agreement that he pay the payments, made one payment of 50.00 on it. We just separated and I took the computer with me beings it was given to me as a gift. Now she emailed me and said she wants the computer and will turn it over to circuit court as me stealing it . I need to know if I have to give it back or is it mine being it was a present

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• It was a gift...she loaned him the money to buy it for you...that loan is his, not yours.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i agree you got it as a gift and don't think she would win on this but is it really worth all that? i would rather rid myself of anything to do with my ex and his family rather then prolong the happiness that awaits me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• its a gift and dont let them sucker you into giving it back it was a gift fair and square!
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would give it back, but totally reformat it before you do, even removing all programs including windows. It would cost her a ton of money to be able to use it with the hard drive completely wiped out...and you can just say you were protecting your personal information. The fact is lap tops are cheap...programming however is extremely expensive.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 10:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't know what state you are in so I'd call the Prosecuting Attorney's office and ask them. Since it was a gift it should be fine but you should ask the folks who would get the warrant for you in case we're wrong! Better safe than sorry

Answer by admckenzie at 10:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• No, you dont have to give it back. It's a gift. I would tell her that's between her and her brother.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 11:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Nope that's basically like buying someone something for christmas then saying they stole it...
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• While I would give the lap top back just to get away from anyone related to my ex, I mean he is the ex for a reason. However, technically, the loan is between he and his sister. She has to get the money from him. He may have grounds to sue you for the computer himself, but he's the one responsible for repaying his sister.

peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 11:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It's gonna depend on the state you live in... but many states see both debt and property as community property when you're married. The RIght thing to do is to either pay his sister for the computer or give it back to her. It's wrong that she was left holding the bag for his gift....even if he is a jerk... his sister agreed to do this out of the kindness of her heart, she wasn't making anything off of it. And if he hasn't been paying then she has been...... or you can just be mean and tell her to get screwed.... I don't recommend the last one though... I think a small claims court would side with her. There's a right and wrong thing to do here..... you have to weigh them both... I hope you do the right thing. Good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2008