Birthday's close to holidays?

I was curious what you momma's do when you have a birthday for a child close to a holiday. My oldest daughters birthday is two days after Christmas, and it hasn't ever really been an issue before. However, she starts school this year, and so her birthdays will start being more revolving around her and her friends than me and my family. (Lol, does that make sense?). Anyway, if your child has a birthday close to a holiday, what do you do? Do you celebrate it early? Late? On the day? Do you have issues with people not being able to make it due to other family events?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Holidays

• my sisters bday is the 19th of december and my brothers is the 20th of december. my parents always did their birthdays the same as everyone else's. they got a few presents and a cake and if their friends could come over they could have them over. there were a few years they got a little disapointed because they couldnt go do anything because we had family there, but it was never a big deal.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well, my daughter was born on Valentines day..its not exactly as an importatnt holiday as Christmas, lol..but it is a celebrated holiday here none the less.
    We've only had one birthday so far(she's 17 months), we had her party the day after Valentines Day because some family wouldnt have been able to make it on her birthday because they had dinner reservations and stuff.
    I wold say..just plan the parties for what is most convienient for you and your guys' immediate family. It would be impossible to try to go around EVERYONES schedule..especially with it being the Christmas holiday.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• How about giving her a "half birthday' in June?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Christmas can be a little harder, but my son was born the day after Thanksgiving. We just decided then and there that his party will alays be the weekend before Thanksgiving. That way the holiday season hasn't started up yet.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 4:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Mine is 12/21. My husband's is 12/25. Both B-days have basically been skipped. Neither of our families celebrated b-days all that much (we're older). Our anniversary is 6/25-

Our kids both have Summer b-days :)
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That's my DD birthday! She will be 3 this year and we plan on doing what we have don every other year (so far) and celebrate the 1 weekend in January.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My birthday is December 7th. I always had a very hard time getting people to come. My friends families were all busy with Christmas stuff. Yeah, 18 days away from Christmas is too close for most people. At least the ones I was friends with. lol Now that I'm older (22) and my friends aren't living with their parents any more I have a little better turn outs.
    .Angelica.

Answer by .Angelica. at 4:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My DD was born on Thanksgiving day. So obviously her birthday is always the week of thanksgiving....when everyone is away viisting family. So far we have had great luck having her party for friends and neighbors and family a week or two before her birthday. That way everyone is still in town. Then we have a small family party on her actual birthday. We have her grandparents and a neighbor or two come and we do dinner and a small cake. It has worked so far....and she will be 6 this year.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• well my bday is jan 12th but i was due on christmas. my mom held me in. ds is march 15th and so all i can do is hope it falls on a saturday cause then we can celebrate it with the family. he is only 3. dd is oct 13th she is only going to be 2 so, so far it has only been alittle hard. but it hopefully will get better. dh is june 24 which also is our wedding anniversary because he never liked his bday.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 4:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• DD was due dec 27th and everyone said she was going to be a christmas baby, i said NO WAY!! I somehow knew that the baby would be late. So anyway I was induced and she came Jan. 8th lol 2 weeks exactly after christmas. The kids are usualy back in school, and so it works with her friends and all that. But phewhh any earlier and I'd be stressed out!!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010