Did you follow the general guide line to feeding your baby or did you do it a different way?

Just curious. All Mom's do it differently. When did you give your children the different stages of food?

I know that older ladies like my grandmother fed babies table food as early as the baby would open their mouths for the spoon.

firethearson

Asked by firethearson at 5:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stuck to the "rules" for the most part. I breastfed and my son's pedi said he could have rice cereal at 4 months. So at 4 months we tried it, and I felt he wasn't ready. So we waited until he was 6 months old, and he did well. When he was about 7, 71/2 months old we started the stage 1 baby food. He did well with it as well. However, after a month or 2 he started refusing the baby food. He was nursing so much because he was hungry but he just wouldn't eat the baby food. So I asked his doc about it and she said sometimes breastfed babies don't like baby food and it'd be okay to give him some table food. So now he's 1 year old and his been eating pretty much everything I eat (within reason) for awhile now. I guess that isn't the "norm" but its worked for us and my son is very healthy (knock on wood) so we're okay!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I had kids in the 1960's and 1970's when kids were fed baby food from a spoon by about 2 or 3 months. And some of us breast fed, some of us bottle fed and we just did whatever we thought the babes liked. :-) My kids were really good at eating and sleeping and very rarely got sick so I must have been doing something right!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Around 4 months, or when baby can sit up on its own, is when I tried the oatmeal stuff. My daughter took to it right away, my son not till closer to 6m. Then veggies then fruits, after i did each kind for 5-6days straight to rule out allergies, i mixed it up w a varity threwout the day. by that time they would beable to have stage2 or 3. then around 9 or 10m finger foods. by a year they were eatting pretty much anything and everything, as long as it was cut properly. but thats just me.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i started her on rice cereal at 5months. and then fruits and veggies after that. she is 16months and she eats pretty much table food now. no problems. she likes everything. she is a very good eater. i think its each individual child that calls the shots.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• What are the general guidelines nowadays anyways? With my first I started her on cereal at 4 months and other solids not too long after. With my 2nd, she had no interest whatsoever in any kind of solids until she was 7 months.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I did my own research, and came up with my own rules. Our family doctor acknowledges that I know more about nutrition than she does, and she has learned from me.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• my sister was a ped nurse so i had inside knowledge. i also had my kids back before there were so many EXPERTS on child care. i gave them table food as soon as they could chew. it was soft food and I developed the habit of not salting everything i cook before hand. i would spoon them out so veggies or whatever we were having. i would smash it good and give it to the baby. it was a lot better than all the salt from the jars of babby food.
    My daughters also made their own baby food those little jars are too expensive and end up in the land fill
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I started pureed foods at 4 months like their Pedi said it was okay too. But as far as solid foods I did that as soon as they were ready. My son had a horrible time getting used to solid foods, so when we realized that I held off for a while. My daughter is a champ and eats like she has been eating them her whole life. Therefore, we're starting her early.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I follow nature. When my baby sat up alone, stole food from my plate, put it in her mouth, chewed/gummed it and swallowed without the tongue thrust pushing it out all without me I let her proceed. that was 7 1/2 months. she's had table food when she wants it ever since. breastmilk is her main nutrition. she's 10 months. the only time she gets mushed food on a spoon is if it isnormally cooked that way, in that case i either guide the spoon, let her have the loaded spoon, or just let her use her hands. www.babyledweaning.com
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I just did whatever. I really don't remember with the older 3 kids. The older 2 started cereal between 4-5 months (that was actually what was recommended back then) and baby food around 5-6 months. My 3rd and 4th kids skipped cereal and started on baby food right away. My youngest dd (now 4) really didn't do much baby food. She did start eating food from our spoons (just tastes) when she was 5 months. At 7 1/2 months she fed herself Thanksgiving dinner (including turkey, stuffing, potatoes and gravy and veggies). She loved it. By Christmas she was off baby food and self feeding herself all table food.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2010