Should I throw this food away?

I left four cans of spaghetti sauce and two cans of mushroom soup in the trunk of my car since Wednesday afternoon. It is now Saturday. It has been pretty warm--in the upper 80's for sure--Should I throw away this food?

Note: The cans are fine--no bulging, bursting, etc....

RainingHeart

Asked by RainingHeart at 5:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• The trucks they come in on and the warehouses at the stores that sell them are just as hot as the trunk of your car, believe me. I have had to unload trucks in over 100 degree temperatures in FL and the stockroom at the store I worked at was not air conditioned. This is a whole large chain of stores and they don't put a/c in the stockrooms. Of course refridgerated items are kept in a refridgerated overstock area, but not canned or jarred goods.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• no. don't throw it out. However, if it smells off when you open it, discard.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes...... If you are ever in doubt, throw it out!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would throw it out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Bulging is not always a good indicator. If the cans have a microscopic pin hole and are exposed to extreme heat the environment could encourage bacteria growth - ditch it.
    EvesMom731

Answer by EvesMom731 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would through it out.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I go on the rule " when in doubt, toss it out!" Better safe than sorry.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No, because its hot in my house and I don't throw my can goods out. The back of the trucks they come on be hot and the store still sells them.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Call the companies and ask what they suggest. I would be inclined to toss them. Although when they are canned, they are heated very hot, right? So like I said call the companies and ask.

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would think it is fine
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2010