just baught a farm. I have 2 girls. I did not grow up on a farm. at what age ..................

just bought a farm. I have 2 girls. I did not grow up on a farm. at what age can the girls stay in the house while I work in the barn? The barn is waking distance from the house.
Or when can the girls go to the barn buy them selves.
Melany

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 5:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• It's up to you and I'm sure that everyone here will have a different opinion. How old are they?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I grew up on a farm and our parents left us alone in the house or brought us out with them when we were babies on up.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• they are 5 and 6.
    four2bmws

Comment by four2bmws (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That's really up to you, but personally I wouldn't allow them to walk to the barn themselves until they were 6-7. I think leaving them in the house alone (depending on how long you're going to be gone and how responsible they are) maybe at 5-6.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I'd probably keep them close by my side until they seem to have an awareness and understanding of the world around them. 5 and 6 are too young to be left alone for any amount of time.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If you get up early before they get up...just let them know that if they wake up in the morning and you are not in the house, to come on out to the barn to look for you.Thats the best time to really do some work out there anyway..especially in the summer because mornings tend to be a little cooler. Other than that..mom..I'd just have them tag along and give them little,small tasks to do. They can collect eggs and put them in the basket,feed the chickens,give them child sized brooms to do some sweeping. There is just so much children at that age can do..they will love it..learn lots of responsibilty from it. Have fun out there! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Oh..and if you do go out there before they wake up in the morning, get a set of walkie talkies and show them how to use them.Leave one in their bedroom and take one with ya and tell them to say good morning or somethign when they wake up. They will get a kick out of it and if theres trouble, they'll know how to get to ya and vice versa.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• By that age, we had a lot of chores on the farm that we had to do. We gathered eggs, fed chickens and rabbits, shoveled poop, grained the cows, and on certain days carried some of the milk about a half mile away to grandma's house without an adult with us. But that was 30 years ago and things are different now I guess.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I was left from about 4-5 with my brother (who was even younger) if they had to run out to the barn for a quick check or morning feed. If they were cleaning or feeding hay I was out there helping. I learned very young how to behave around and respect horses and livestock. My job at 5-6 was the chickens. I fed, watered, and collected the eggs. No matter the age you have to teach them to have respect for the animals and make helping out/working fun and you will be good.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Good info here for you. You will learn as you go. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010