Don't kiss your kids.

I was up last night about 4 am watching CNN (I believe) any way there was a story about a psychologist who is saying "kissing your kids even at a young age on the mouth will have long term ill effects."
Now we are talking a peck here not French kissing.(At least I hope no one does that) How in the world can that affect your child badly? How many of your kiss/ or have kissed your child? Do you honestly think a kiss can harm them? Or is this quack batty?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• That psychologist is a friggen idot. Of course I kiss my kids!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That is absurd. I swear doctors are just bored these days and are just making stuff up now. I thought kids that are never shown love or affection were the ones with ill-effects? Now they want to switch it? I was kissed growing up all the time. Sometimes on the lips, sometimes on the cheek. I think I turned out just fine! I kiss my son all the time too! He seems okay to me. QUACK QUACK!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i do it to my daughter and i will continue to do it because i love that she kisses me period because one day she wont kiss me at all. i wont listen to anything cnn or anyone for that matters says about kissing. they have to talk about something. they are running out of things to talk about if this is news topic.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• And yes, I kiss them on the lips
    Zakysmommy

• That's ridiculous! I kiss my kids on the lips and always have. I kiss my step sons on the cheek because that's what they are more comfortable with. Signs of affection if done out of love and respect can't hurt children.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 5:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I am 40 years old and still kiss my parents on the mouth, kiss my 17 year old son on the mouth too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i love kisses from my daughter. she is my angel, my baby and right now it is innocent and sweet. there will come a time when it just isn't appropriate, but for now i see no harm in it, and obviously neither does she. she is 2 1/2 and i see nothing wrong with it. and if anyone wants to tell me otherwise i will gladly give them something to kiss.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 5:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• wow! i wish i would have seen that! I kiss my kids... just in a normal motherly way.. of course! LOL. I dont see how that can affect them negatively....
    anabele

Answer by anabele at 5:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• One more reason I hate Psychology! Can molestation cause long term ill effects? Yes. Can a simply kiss goodnight? NO! In fact, I would think to deny them that kiss goodnight would do far more to cause long term ill effects. Children see kisses as a sign of affection - just as adults do. They see mom & dad kiss, people on TV kiss and listen to fairy tales about magical kisses that wake sleeping princesses... To deny that affection to a child is going to do far more damage than giving it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why did they say it was bad? I always just kiss on the cheek anyway, but just curious. That just sounds odd.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010