7 month old and cheerios?

I have been reading all these things about how you can start giving your baby cheerio's at 6 months because they mash really easy but not to use the honey nut one's because they have a coating that make it take longer to dissolve. I was wandering if anyone knew about the new fruity cheerios????

vampiremommy1

Asked by vampiremommy1 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no,just the regular ones. They're meant to learn how to pick up small food morsels to eat. The fruity ones might be too sugary.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would just stick with the regular ones.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• probably not because if the honey ones are coated I'm sure the fruit ones are too. plus no because honey frequently contains dormant endospores of the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which can be dangerous to infants as the endospores can transform into toxin-producing bacteria in the infant's immature intestinal tract, leading to illness and even death. I give mine cheerios and hes 8 months old
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I just used the regular ones. I didn't want my little guy to like the sweetness of the fruity one too much and it ruin him for other healthy foods.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Cheerios contain wheat, which is a allergy trigger food and should not be given to a child who had not had a birthday.

Puffed brown rice is a much better option.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The Cheerios was told to me by my sons pediatrician at Riley Children's Hospital.
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why not just table food, skip the processed stuff altogether. halved or quartered blueberries, or petite peas, or raspberries and other fruits and veggies are much better offerings.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• amileegirl: though that sounds like a much better offering that cheerios 1 cheerios aren't unhealthy and 2 my son is 7 months old with no teeth and he doesn't yet know how to mash with his gums..thus the point in cheerios which dissolve.
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• my baby is 10 months old with no teeth eitherand was having them at 7 1/2 months. Gums are perfectly fine for smashing and fruit I suggested is SOFTER than cheerios
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Right and I totally get that they are SOFTER than cheerios but fruit doesn't dissolve and turn to mush on it's own. I want him to get used to having things in his mouth before I give him something that he physically has to mush himself.
    vampiremommy1

Comment by vampiremommy1 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010