What kind...

of "proof" would it take to make you believe in God (if you don't now)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• How about wondering about the "Uncaused Cause" of creation. As St. Aquinas said--there had to be an Uncaused Cause to bring about creation. If you believe in the outdated Big Bang theory--where did the molecules come from in the first place:-) This could get really lengthy. I believe because God--Jesus Christ-- made himself known to me. And there is evil--more real than a person standing next to you. SO if there is that presence of evil there has to be the opposite--which is the holiness of God. I believe because I have no other choice in what I have experienced and what I have seen in other people's lives.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 1:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• as far as a god who is like a person ruling over the world and watching everything.
    i would have to see the god.

but i believe in a different type of "god", and existence of life and objects is concrete proof.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I can't think of a thing. I'm as firm and comfortable in my beliefs as any die hard Christian. I just don't believe the same things.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Mm. Interesting question. I know it wouldn't be from another human. There is nothing someone could say to me that I haven't heard sooo many times. It would have to be something personal that I *felt* or direct connection to a higher power.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate. Ronnie, you are entitled to your opinion, but like I said - I've given this a lot of thought, research and reading. As much as many people who believe in God like to think they have original arguments, its really the same stuff over and over. If that was going to "work" it would have already. I respect you have a different opinion, I wish you would return the favor and realize your belief does not make my belief any less valid.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• None! I know in my heart that God exist and I know that Jesus Christ existed too. You may not see them, but it is like the air you can't see it, but you know it is there. Plus look around at all the wonderful things. I believe that God is Supreme, without him Jesus couldn't have existed. Right? Some people have to see to believe. But God is faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Are we talking gods in general, or God?

As far as diety in general goes, I believe in the Jungian sense...but if we are talking the God of Abraham, worshipped by the Jews, Christians, and Muslims, I'd have to believe he was worth worshipping first.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• There is nothing that would make me believe. "god" could come down and appear before me and I'll think I am hallucinating and check myself into the hospital.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• HMM what kind of proof. Anything that can be perceived with my senses. He can come down and talk to me for one. Stand right in front of me an explain to me where he was when I deeply needed him. But you know what, even if I did see, hear, and touch him. It doesn't mean I would follow him. The God presented in the bible is not worthy of my devotion. So probably nothing is going to make me believe. He doesn't want my devotion since he spurned me away. And hey, why stay where I am not wanted.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Sera-and you thought my post was an attack on you? I was giving my own experience from MY searching, seeking, READING ( scientific fields, historical, spiritual, etc.), praying, meditation----it was not an attack on anyone. All I know is that there is Absolute Truth. It is not arbitrary. The proof for God is not new. I do not think I have "something new" to share--geez, how long ago did St. Aquinas live---he definitely isn't "new":-)

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2008