Unexplained Mood Swing - 8 yr old girl

My daughter has NEVER been a discipline problem. She is always kind, loving, very considerate, beyond well-behaved and just in general the greatest kid ever. Lately though I have noticed she has been getting frustrated and upset for no reason. She always expresses herself to me and we have a very open relationship where we discuss our feelings a lot. When I ask her about it she says "I dont know what my problem is I'm just in a very bad mood today". I ask if she is mad and she says "I guess, I'm just frustrated". I ask if she knows why and she has no explanation. This will go on for a half hour or so and then she is fine. Nothing seems to set it off. I know its not anything going on at school because this started over the summer. I have considered the possibility of early puberty but girls normally take after their moms and I didn't get my first period until I was almost 16 yrs old. Any ideas what this could be?

VoodooBetty

Asked by VoodooBetty at 6:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Even 8 yr olds can have mood swings and bad days. I know even for me I still have highs and lows and cannot explain why. I might start my day with lots of energy and then the next not so much. I cant explain it, Im usually having the same intake amount of caffiene..lol She is growing and changing as is her world around her. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Geez, I have an almost 18 yr old dd and its a constant roller coaster ride. I took my son to the video store the other day on his bday and he asked me to stop chattering in the car. See,,it just gets better!
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 6:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Hormones start kicking in at this age.

If you haven't already done so, please start having regular conversations with your daughter about her changing body, and how those changes may make her feel.

Depending on her physical changes, you may want to put a "period kit" in her backpack: clean undies, a plastic zipper bag for soiled undies and two pads (make sure that she knows how to use them).

Sadly, with if you feed your daughter conventional meat and dairy, her body has been bombarded with hormones that often bring on puberty early.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well what bothers me most is she seems to find these unexplained bad moods very distressing. We spent the last half hour curled up on my bed with me rubbing her head while she just sort of whimpered that she was so sick of having bad days, It just seems to have just started and Its so out of character for her. is there any chance puberty could really start this early? She isnt exactly "developed" physically and is actually a little short for her age.
    VoodooBetty

Comment by VoodooBetty (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Maybe a trip to the dr is in order. Has there been any big changes in her life? I think the way you handled it is great. You are there for her and she is safe no matter what she is feeling.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 6:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It could be the start of puberty. Wow you didn't get your period until you were 16!!! I got mine at 11!!!! I would encourage her to not worry about it that just like the sun doesn't shine every day people aren't happy 100% of the time. Sometimes people get sad or upset and it's ok to experience those feelings.
    Miss2010

Answer by Miss2010 at 8:22 PM on Aug. 1, 2010