How would I get my dog to stop peeing every where?

I have a dog who isn't potty trained and is 4 years old. How do I go and get him to stop peeing every where?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Talk to your vet. If it was a puppy put their nose in it then put the dog outside. But since the dog is 4 it might have a bladder problem or something else wrong. At night don't leave water out in the water bowl. Put your dog out as early in the morning. Also try to put your dog out more then you usually do.
    But please talk to your Vet.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 6:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• buy a crate that is big enough for him to stand up, turn around and lie down in. If you can't supervise him, he goes in there. Start with ten minutes at a time, reward him and let him out if he is being quiet and increase by five minute intervals until you're at a half an hour then leave the house and listen outside. Don't give in if he keeps crying. Dogs are denning animals and will feel more secure having one. Always take him right out to go pee when you let him out of the crate, if he doesn't pee, back in the crate he goes. If he does put his leash on a belt and put the belt on you and have him follow you around, if he starts to look like he's going to pee, take him outside. Always reward him when he pees outside. Don't act all excited when you are going to let him out of the crate. Be calm and quiet voiced during this whole process. Follow this strictly and most people have their dog trained in 2 weeks.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 6:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Crate an older dog since they don't like to mess where they sleep while you train him to go outdoors you need to be consistent say take him out every hour or so, use the same area every time and such phrases as "potty" and be exuberant in your praise just remember it is going to take a lot of time and he will still have many accidnets but you can train on old dog... hope this helps and there is a lot of information online.
    southerndesign

Answer by southerndesign at 7:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My BF says to beat the f**k out of him. (just kidding) But he did suggest a shock collar when he lets loose in the house.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Tasches ~ sorry thats crewl. Maybe your BF should have one put on him and see how it is.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I think crating is the best bet, they don't like to mess where they sleep. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• How about the old rolled up news paper and consistancy! They will only get away with whatever you let them get away with.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I can't believe some of these answers! I will just pretend some of you are ignorant and really don't know any better.

Unless you want a shell of a dog you should NEVER hit them or use a shock collar.

I've had over 10 years of dog training experience and I can see the difference in a minute between dogs that are trained well with positive reinforcement and a dog that has been hit and shocked. Owners need to be educated about why dogs behave the way they do and fix that issue rather than hit them with a newspaper when they do something you disagree with.

Tashes and Esmrida I hope you don't have any pets.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 10:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I too have to say that I'm shocked at some of these answers! NEVER put a dog's nose in an accident (and that's what it is.. an accident.. would you put your toddler's nose in it? If you said yes, you should NOT be a parent). You also don't ever hit. Negative responses will just make it worse.
    Crating is always the best possible training tool. If you really don't want to do that, tether the dog to yourself. where ever you go in the house, the dog goes. Make sure you take the dog out to potty every hour, for the first couple of days. If you can't physically be with the dog, and don't have a crate, confine dog to a small area in the house (preferably with no carpet) But, as soon as you get back take dog out to potty. If there have been any accidents, just clean them up. Don't even show that you are upset. Dogs will do anything for attention, be it good attention (praise) or bad (punishment). It doesn't matter to them.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Is it submissive peeing? Resentful peeing? What's the reason behind it?
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 11:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2010