2 year old acting up. Home and stores?

I have a 2 1/2 year old boy who doesnt listen. I've tried all the advise in the newest paenting magazine and read things about it. But NOTHING works. I wont walk away for my son in the store because there is alot of crazy people in this world. I'm nt going to have my kid kidnapped or something like that. He know how to pus the right buttons. Timeouts and butt spanking dont work. I can tell him 100x to stop doing things and tell him if he gets hurt h will learn. But he never does. Does anyone have any NEW advise???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my kids did that I just stopped taking them to the stores with me. I only went to the store when daddy was at home watching them.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Im a single parent. So that wont wok. Thanks anyhow. =)
    Adriansmom12008

Answer by Adriansmom12008 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I had the same issue. The key is to remain calm. React as if this is no big deal. Simply explain what will happen if he continues and then follow thru. I let my kids know we will go stand outside until they can calm down and will leave if we have to. We go outside and I let them throw their tantrum and then talk about why they thru it and what they can do in the future to communicate better with me and then I will remind them when they are getting upset how they should be talking with me. I don't "understand" my kids until they stop crying and take a deep breath. I also always make sure if what they are upset about is something I can help them with I do. If my son wanted to see that pretty bead at the store I will let him hold it and feel it and have him describe it to me and then we'll put it back together. He wants your attention and to be included in what you are doing, so give it to him. (not when he's throwing a fit tho)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 7:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• How about: tell him only twice to stop doing something and the third time you just take him away from the situation and not say a word. You act unbothered by his reaction becaus eye is waiting for your reaction. He is learning how to push your buttons on purpose so you don't show him. If he throws a tantrum while playng with something just ask him nicely but sternly once and if he doesn't listen take it away and Thats that. When my dd acts up or plays with her food I tell her to stop twice. As soon as she does it again I tell egr I'm taking it away and that's it. She does NOT get her food back. She has since almost stopped playing with her food and will now tell me Shes done (she's 20 mths). At the store I have her help me pick out stuff when she starts showing signs of restlessness in the cart. This makes her feel like she's being helpful and she is so focused that she can't remember to act up anymore, LASTresort snacks
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 7:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010