My son wants to cuss?!?!

My 16 year old son wants to start cussing in front of us. He says all his friends cuss in front of their parents. I didn't cuss in front of my parents until I was in my 20s. I keep telling him it is a respect thing but he just doesn't get it. What do you think? Should it be ok?

claudine71

Asked by claudine71 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If you aren't comfortable with it, just tell him that. But I have no issue with my kids "cussing" in front of me. I don't like the idea of "cuss words" to me, words are words are words... One is no better or worse than another... Instead we prefer to focus on HOW the words are used. If they are used to demean or belittle, I have an issue, beyond that, I don't see any reason to ban them... It's not like telling him he can't use them in front of you is going to stop him from using them... For me, I want my kids to have an open and honest relationship with us, and having to alter their language or behavior around us doesn't lead to an open or honest relationship, it leads only to hiding and deceit.

Now, that said, it's YOUR house, and you have the right to make whatever rule you want. He doesn't have to agree or understand your rules, but it's your house...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Not if it's not ok with you! It doesn't matter if it's ok with any of us, you are his mom, he lives in your house. He doesn't live in mine.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My seventeen year old son would never dream of cussing in front of me. He knows I would knock his head off. I still don't cuss in front of my mother and I am 40. It is definately a respect issue... You know the old addage, if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you???
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 7:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I am 47 and I still don't curse in front of my parents.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If you do not want him to cuss in front of you. Then he does not do it. Who cares what other people let their kids do in front of them. JMO and what I did with my kids.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I don't think it should be OK. Ever.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Nope.. Id tell him just because other parents may have different standards for their kids does not mean I will change mine! And give a few other examples like girlfriends sleeping over, curfew, drinking, smoking.... And I would also discuss how its important that he Not cuss around those parents as well!! Let him know its a respect thing and its not a good habit to get into cussing anyway, it does not make you look cool, or older... It makes you look immature & a hoodlum!

Im 27 & still only "slip" around my mom & older family members!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I'm 36 and I don't swear in front of my parents. If you don't want him to then who cares what anyone else thinks? You're his momma, he lives with you, not us.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No swearing what rules apply in my house,and the kids get loose with their mouth all too often. I'm gonna put up a huge sign I seen posted in a friends house that states "The storm stops at the door'"
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son is almost 14 and he is starting with the cussing too cause 'everyone at school does it'. When I hear one of those words come out of his mouth I give him an "I mean business" look and use an no nonsense tone and let him know I don't find those words acceptable. And that if he is going to use those kinds of words then he can go in the bathroom and say them to himself cause I do not want to hear it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2010