What color should I paint my living room?

I have a new house and everything is white except for my daughter's room which is baby pink. I want to make it look nicer in the house and I want to start in the living room. The trim is maple and I think it would be easier to choose a color if the trim was white. So I was thinking maybe like a light earthy color? Would that look nice with maple trim?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• a sandy neutral color
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• you can go to the sherwin williams site and upload a photo of your room and play with the color options there. You can actually see what your room would look like. I think its called the visualizer or something like that. Then you will have a better idea of what would fit your taste. I plan on using it so I can figure out what to do with the outside of my house. It will save you money, time and a big disappointment if you put the wrong color on. Just a thought.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 7:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thank you! I will try that right now and see what I can come up with.
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would do Benjamin Moore Linen White. It comes up cream.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You can also get small sample bottles of some brands of paints. Then you could paint a small area next to the trim, stand back , and see if you like it. I like the sandy color idea. Lots of rooms done on HGTV decorating shows are in the sand to taupe range. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I found a really nice one on benjamin moore site it's called Urban Nature. Very pretty. I think I want to stay away from anything brown or beige just cause my couches are beige and so are my curtains. I hate my curtains and the only reason I got them is because I live on a very noisy street and they are the noise canceling curtains (they don't really work) beige was the only color they had :(
    BellaBean23

Comment by BellaBean23 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I like to personally do all earth type colors, it doesn't seem like when you are decorating that it's hard to match everything that way, If you want you can add green it's fine ,blue fine, marroon fine. But the Sherwin Williams site that Lifes-A-Adance said si fun to go to and play around and upload your own rooms and see what you like there. Have fun I still have 2 rooms that are white after 6 yrs.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Sage would look nice also Happy Painting.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you want to go with color...I think

1. Medium/dark olive green looks great with maple wood...and if you paint the trim white, it will have a more "crisp" look to it!

2. Medium cool yellow--not too gold and not too pale that would look great with either the maple or white trim.

3. Warm light peach color--not too pale or rusty/brown--you want to select a color that is harmonious and yet contrasts enough to show the detail.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010