Letting a 8-9 year old??

Go to the movies by themselves? Ride a subway by themselves? Or even walk 2-4 city blocks to the ice cream shop to have some ice cream by themselves? Good parenting? Bad parenting? Or just plan crazy?

I've been reading Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's a good idea if you teach your kids what to do. If more people did id we would't have so many helpless, can't do anything for themselves adults.
    The thing most of us want for our kids is for them to feel safe and independent. This goes a long way to that because we won't always be there to hold their hand.
    Nothing is gained by teaching our kids to fear everyone and everything. What we should do instead is to teach them how to act in dangerous situations.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Im uncomfortable with it.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• no.. not at that age..

I wasn't allowed to do any of that until I was 12 years old. (movies or walking around town)... and I live in a SMALL town (population about 800). and I don't disagree with that.. at age 12 when I finally did get that freedom I was walking home from a friends house and some guy try to pick me and a friend up in his van.. (thankfully our mothers taught us well, and we ran screaming all the way home).. the guy was picked up a few hours later after already picking up another girl and with a prior record of a sexual predator.

it's scary out there, and no I wouldn't even think about letting an 8 or 9 year old do that stuff..

as for the subway.. forget it! We live in the country, it's not necessary.. they'd have to be at least 16 before that could even become an issue.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:48 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Nope. Way too young for my comfort. I have a prob letting my 8 yo run around in front of my complex w the other kids w out me watching.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I think its CRAZY! My son is 7 and I would NEVER allow him to do this! He is smart, but a kid, kids make bad decisions a lot and I dont want one of those bad decisions to hurt him.

Not to mention the crazy pedophiles and nasties out there...uggg..makes me shudder to think of sending him out there alone!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No way
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No chance.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My daughter is 6 and she's only allowed to walk to my mom's house next door. But we live in a small neighborhood in Athens, Greece. We used to live in New York and she was barely allowed to be in the back yard by herself!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't do it/
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• OMG how plain stupid! It's not teaching a child to do more...it's laziness from a parent to not watch their child..that age is too young...
    Mommyof3yippey

Answer by Mommyof3yippey at 7:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010