WWYD?

If money was tight but you saved for a year to have the vacation of a life time. You pinched every penny and could only pull it off because you stayed with family (no hotel and many meals covered) and borrowed a car (no rental). But you had a GREAT time.

Would you have budgeted in hostes gifts? Even if it was just flowers when you got there? Would you have budgeted in paying for even one meal... even if it was just take out pizza?

If you are saving litterally over $2000-3000 for no hotel for 2 weeks, no rental car, and 2/3 rds of your meals covered... wouldnt you have budgeted for something?

Would you have expected it if you were the hosting family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Either I would bring a gift like a fruit basket of desserts or send one after like a gift card as a thank you & I would plan to pay for a few meals on us. I don't think it's nice to be a guest even of family members & not chip in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, if they were guests for that long they should have covered at least two meals and maybe more, the gas for the car, and a nice hostess gift. There is no free ride, and they shouldn't have expected others, even family, to come out losers on the deal.

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree they should of chip in did something
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree with Bmat6.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Been there. Yes I would expect them to at least have the courtesy to ask if I need anything etc.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 7:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would budget for two meals and a gas card maybe even some site seeing for them even if it meant saving for another year
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I always bring a hostess gift when i stay with someone or even just go over for dinner but I don't expect it from my guests (a lot of people don't know about those rules of etiquette anymore)...
    I've found that most people don't think about those kind of things anymore, sadly...
    but if you don't expect it and you get a gift then its a nice suprise
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 8:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When I stay with family for friends it is usually no longer than a week. You don't even know that I am there b/c my stuff is so neatly kept and put out of the way. I usually make 2-3 meals for the people that I am staying with and I pitch and do the cleaning and the laundry while they are at work. I personally see myself as a great house guest and I send a thank you note afterward to let them know how much I appreciate their hospitality. I would expect a note of appreciation at the very least.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010