bottles

how often do u boil bottles?

christina10140

Asked by christina10140 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I boil the nipples and caps on the disposible bottles and I boil my sons sippys cups too!
    Mommato5gems

Answer by Mommato5gems at 7:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• what age are u suppose to stop
    christina10140

Comment by christina10140 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Never. There is really no reason to, and it can actually cause more damage and cause plastics to release more dangerous chemicals. Simply put them in the dishwasher or soak them in hot water before you hand wash them.

Here is some more information:
    http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nutritionandfeeding/f/sterilizebottle.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It is only recommended that you boil water and bottles until about 2 mos of age when a child can start to build their own immune system. After that the only reason you need to boil is if you don't have a dishwasher or you leave them too long with stuff in them w/o getting them rinsed soon enough.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Never. We either put them in the dishwasher or wash them in hot soapy water. I don't even boil them before first use. The dry cycle on the dishwasher will sanitize them just as well (that from our pediatrician). I have 5 kids and I think we only boiled stuff with the first. It was too much of a pain. She didn't get her first illness until she was 11 months old (a virus). My kids are hardly ever sick and when they do get sick it's just a runny nose and cough. Exposure to germs is how you build an immune system.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i agree with justanotherjen and sabrinambowen.....
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 7:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010