out of control 3 yr old

My son is 3 & a half. He doesnt not listen to for for nothing. At stores he takes off running, if i put him in a cart he climbs out. At home he jumps from the chair to the couch. He will grab my stuff (phone, keys, etc) and run off with them throwing them behind something. When I try to punich him he will laugh and run off or he will throw a fit and will NOT stay in time out. I don't know how to get him to listen. Time out, spankings, taking stuff away just dont seem to bother him, he doesnt care! Any suggestions...

Nicolelynn410

Asked by Nicolelynn410 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are some good books out there that can help with discipline. Dr Phil's is supposedly great. Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment. There is always something that is super important to them. Withhold it for an appropriate length of time. The younger he is, the shorter the time. You need to be consistent and stay calm. It might be difficult to regain control but you both will be better off for it.

Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son is the same way we try to correct him and he laughs in our face
    XandersMomma07

Answer by XandersMomma07 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are some books that help. Theres a nanny book out there that has great suggestions I forget what it is called though.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010