How do I get over my husband hitting me?

Lastnight my husband and I got into a huge fight. We were arguing about stupid stuff but it escalated to him picking up his steal toe boot and hitting me in the arm with it. I told him don't put your hands on me again and he picked it up and he hit me with it again with such force that I thought that he broke my arm. He has never done anything like this before. Will it be an ongoing thing now that he has done it once?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• From one who was an abused wife for 17 yrs. & didn't have the guts to get out, I am telling you from the bottom of my heart he will do it again & he will apologise & swear he won't do it again,but he will! Get out while you can & don't look back. There is someone out there who will love & cherish you & never raise a finger to hurt you. GO!!!
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• How do you get over it???? you don't! if he had the gall to hit you once and you take it he will do it again.

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, it likely will. Statistic show that this rarely is a one-time occurrence. You don't get over it, you get out and get safe - unless you want your children to believe that this is how normal adults interact and either allow people to treat them with violence, or perpetrate violence on others themselves/
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Oh my gosh, that is crazy, i would have left him the first time that he hit me i would not want to sit around to find out if he would do it again! Im so sorry you are going threw this!

mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• This was the first time, but he did it more than once! My gut feeling is that this is a dangerous man who is not in control of his temper. If it were me, I would take the kids and go to a women's shelter. Look in your Yellow Pages, Google it, or you can call your local Catholic Social Services office. Please do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You need to get out. Find out what safe houses there are in your area. Call your religious adviser or ask your doctor. Next time he could break something or hurt you or your children. Start getting your things packed up and leave as soon as you can.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Sweetie...thats not something you "get over". If you decide to stay and work it out..he is going to have to understand what he did was wrong, it was not okay to hit you in any way,shape or form.You guys need to talk about it. An arguement should never reach that level of intensity. Couples argue...its normal, its natural..hitting to hurt is not the norm..and you shuldnt have to accept it as that. EVER. Good Luck. Whatever you decide to do.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• turn around and don't look back, don't think twice.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Honey, it will happen again, the threshold has now been crossed I'm sorry!!!
    I have lived through this - for over 10 years - I still love my ex but we cannot have that same kind of relationship - we are now friends that talk on the computer and texts. AND, none of his other gf's can compare to me but he's the one that lost it on purpose!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010