I sprained my ankle (maybe broke it?) how do I take care of my toddler?

So I twisted my ankle this afternoon. My husband is only home on the weekends, and the only other family I have here are my elderly grandparents and I can't afford daycare at the moment. What do I do? He is soo energetic and I have only gotten up to go to the bathroom- which was surprisingly difficult, I ended up having to crawl. I dont think I broke it so I am going to go to the doc. this week. I am keeping it elevated and wrapped/iced...but it hurts to not be able to take care of my son...any suggestions?

paulitaescobar

Asked by paulitaescobar at 9:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every time I'm sick I tell my toddler i have an owie....the last time I had a hurt wrist and told him that and he seemed calmer the whole day and even wanted to kiss my owie...your toddler might pick up on the cues...i wish i had more advice....sorry
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 9:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Put everything up that could hurt him or he could get into easily and use gates in the doorways. Make sure there are lots of interesting toys and stuff in the room you have him in. GL!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Put almost everything you need in an are withing reaching distance. I would also block off as much area as you can to help keep him contained. I have a play yard and that was a saving grace last summer when I sprained my foot. I was on crutches for 2 weeks and I almost killed her and I when she was running down the hallway at the same time I was going down it. I wish you luck. I know it hurts.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• can you get a hold of a pair of crutches or a cane?? That would help tremendously!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 9:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i feel your pain, literately! I broke my ankle when my 1st dd was 18months old and it was HORRIBLE (i fell while holding her and i was just so thankful she was ok, but it hurt like hell!) but my dd did SOOO good 'taking care of mommy' and helping out and i agree with PP that they pick up on the cues and really calm down. have your hubby help u move anything dangerous out of his reach and set up a 'safe zone' near your bed or your couch so u can rest and keep it elevated and your son can still play. gets LOTS of books and/or movies that might keep him entertained while he stays near u. is your husband home in the evenings at least or is it really only on the weekends? meal times might be hard, is there anyone u can call to bring u food or help u cook or anything? my husband was working evenings when i broke my ankle but at least he was home some during the day and at night to help out... GL and i'm so sorry you're in pain! :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010