Death?

I'm a Christian, but I'm still terrified of death. I'm not scared of the process NEARLY as much as I'm scared of the "after-life". The thing that scares me the most is "forever". Since I've really gotten into my faith, it's been better, but I still have episodes. When I start to think about "forever" I get all panicky. My heart races, I get sweaty, I'm restless, and just plain freaked out!

Is there anyone else that fears this as much as I do? I think of death daily!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Maybe you need to pray to God to deliver you from this fear. Why be afraid of eternity? There are two choices. Heaven or Hell. Heaven is perfection and that is nothing to be afraid of. If you are saved and believe in christ as your personal savior and try to live by his word and ask for forgiveness of your sins you have nothing to worry about. God loves you and he is very very merciful and he wants us to join him in heaven...don't fear it.
    Anonymous

• OP here...I know that stuff and that's why it's been getting better. I think it also has to do with the fear of the unknown. I just can't shake it. When it gets bad I pray and feel relief, but then it comes back again a month or so later and "gets me". It's a constant thing I struggle with. It's just draining and old. I don't want to live my life worrying about something I can't stop or control.
    Anonymous

• i used to be that way until after yrs of attending church and really understanding what comes after it. it's not you that dies but your body that he gave you here on earth. you are not who you are cause of your body it's what you are inside, your soul, your heart and mind is exactly who you will be when you are resurrected. so in fact look at yourself now but not your body and this is the same as in heaven. no difference. you won't feel a thing but happiness and maybe i bit of fear on judgment day but the lord will give you strength to deal with that. you will be alright. if you don't deny god and you get baptized in his name you are go to go. so chill
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Our local Christian radio talk show host was talking about that a while ago, asking if people were afraid of eternity. I had never heard of such a fear, but people were calling in admitting to it, and expaining how the thought of everything being the same for ever and ever and there being no end made them panic. I think it's just because we can't get our minds around it. So, you aren't alone. I'm personally more afraid of Hell, I don't think about it all the time, but there was a while where I did, and I got really depressed for a few days but at some point I started thinking about it less and decided I had to go on with my life and not let myself think about it.
    JenEliBella

Answer by JenEliBella at 12:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Maybe you are coming to grips with reality. There is no heaven.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 12:41 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I get quite uneasy when people start talking about the world coming to an end in 2012.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• When you die, you are dead, no heaven or hell, remember God will let everyone have a judgement. He will make the earth and heavens anew. He will judge your heart. It is written in the Bible. When the earth is made anew. There will be no more sickness and the earth will become a paradise for us. It even says the little children shall walk with the lions, won't that be a beautiful thing. It is in the Bible too. Don't be afraid to die, you'll be raised and judged by your doings and your heart. God know you, he even know the amount of hair on your head, he won't forget you either. So, be happy that once you die your sins die too. May God be With YOU, and help you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• NO ONE knows when the earth will end, God says in the Bible that it shall come as a thief in the night. So, therefore, no one except God knows when that day will come. You should be prepare at all times. So, stay strong in God and what he asks of you, and you will be ready when it comes. God is over all the earth and even scientist don't know when the earth will end, only our God, and Savior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Ironically, I was more worried about the afterlife and more afraid of death when I was Christian, than I have ever been now than I am not.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It's not an ending, but a new beginning. The beginning of life on another plane of existence in which there should be peace. I am not really ready to leave my family, but I am not afraid of leaving this world in favor of a more peaceful, less polluted environment. Like thalassa, I was more afriad of death when I was christian. But look around almost anywhere is better than here.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2008