how often to feed a yorkie. about 12lbs

i jus got him do theyt get breackfast lunch dinner and 2 snacks ...lol

michmm03

Asked by michmm03 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• 12 lbs is a big yorkie! I'm guessing your dog is an adult. Adult dogs do well with 1-2 feedings per day, 2 being ideal. Make sure you are feeding according to the bag directions and do not over feed. The amount you feed should be adjusted if treats are given. Check with your vet to see if your dog is at an appropriate weight. Always leave water available.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2010

• I'd just leave a self feeder out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My silky terrier-same size and looks almost exactly like a yorkie get 1 cup a day. I give him 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 cup at dinner.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I place a bowl out for my large dogs, and they can eat when they want to! I assume the same for small...GL!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Go by the weight/amount chart on the back of the dog food bag. If he doesn't finish it within 15 minutes, pick up the remaining food. The number of times a day would depend on how much he eats of the food you sit down.

I would suggest you do some research about caring for dogs and also about the Yorkie breed. They tend to be one person dogs, many do not do well with young children (my mom has had 3...only 1 out of them would put up with children), and they require grooming and haircuts. It is concerning that you'd bring a living creature into your home and have absolutely no idea how properly provide even his the most basic of needs.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We leave the food out all the time and they seem to eat only when they are hungry. They get a special treat about once a day, if they do their business outside (sometimes they have accidents but we are only dog-sitting and their owner has moved them around quite a bit).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I have always left food out & he eats when he wants. Most times my yorkie will only go eat when I am eating.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• puppies - 5-6 times per day
    adult - 3 times per day
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Small breeds are prone to hypoglycemia (spelling?) so should be fed ATLEAST twice/day. Puppies up to 6 months should be fed 3 times/day.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:37 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• My black lab gets a can of pedigree healthy joints in the morning along with her meds and 1/2 a cup of dry in the pm. She's on a diet bc of hip dysplasia. My dachshund mix gets 1/2 dry puppy food in the am and 1/2 in the pm. Even though she isn't a puppy she's on that bc she was a stray and is trying to gain weight.
    You could always call your vet and they will tell you for sure how much and how often.
    brani5

Answer by brani5 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 3, 2010