what do u do if your husband doesn't like your family?

How do u handle your husband not liking your parents. My family is very important to me and now all of a sudden he decides he doesn't want any part in my family's life. Our relation ship is going through a lot of problems and now he adds this to the mix. Don't know what to do.

Lizzie929

Asked by Lizzie929 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Visit them without him.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well he knew about them when you married. Try to limit visits, never go with out him. Ask him what exactly he doesnt like, if its lame like " Your mom's just annoying, or You family talks to much" Calmly smile and say that you didnt get to pick out your family thats why you choose him................. And then look him in the eye and " You married me, you knew what they were like and Im willing to compromise how much we see them". Good luck!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 9:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• O lady I am going through the same thing. I have been married for 25 yrs. It's not like he grew up with them.
    Go to counseling with your husband.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:52 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have the issue with my MIL. . . I don't like them. . . I don't care if he goes to see his mom. . . but I don't want her around me or my DD. Yes it is stressful and I take one for the team here and there and be nice and visit. . . but I talked to him about it and explained my reasons and he is ok with it. We had that issue with my parents for a while but things changed and got better. . . but again we talked about it and as long as there was good reason I was ok with it and so was/is he. Remember he married you not your family, it is always nice tho for everyone to get along. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 9:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My husband does not like my family ....neither do I though!lol

I would ask him why.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would sit him down and say what you said to us how the family is important and how you are going to have them in your life and your child or childrens life. I would also ask why and if it cannot be worked out let it go and figure out whats really behind it. In some cases this is an isolation trick by an abusive spouse? Start asking questions and take care of your own needs as wellI am not saying he is but please ask questions and hash it out. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well My husband doesn't like my family (well most of them) and I don't blame him. Sorry no advise for you :(
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• find out what he doesn't like and if the problem can't be resolved, vist with them when he is not arround and limit the time he spends around them to family holidays.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You invite him to come with you, and if he refuses, you go alone to family functions and for visits. Then you reserve for yourself to have the same freedom that he has. If he goes to see his folks, and you choose to not go with him, he has no right to be upset with you. He drew his boundary and you have drawn yours.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If he all of sudden is feeling differently about them after the marriage. You need to look into if what he is feeling and see what compromise you can come up with. Maybe you see them alone. He does not have to like them if he does not want to. It would be nice if they could work it out though if possible so that at least he would be OK with being around them in the future.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010