How can I potty train my 2 year old son when he refuses to even sit on it?

we have been attempting to potty train my 2yr old son for months now and he refuses to even sit on the potty. We have tried so many things and are becoming very frustrated.

mommie467

Asked by mommie467 at 11:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait for him to be ready. He is obviously not ready yet. Keep offering the potty and one day it will be like a light bulb. Good Luck and hang in there!

Anonymous

• I agree with the other comment. Doesn't sound like he's ready yet. My son was trained until he was three and a half. It took him a good solid week or two to get the hang of it. Lots of accidents, but he came around. The signs I noticed were: taking off his diaper when it was wet, staying dry all night for almost a month, telling me he had pee-pee, and sitting on his potty without being told.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• boys usually take longer to want to do it. but when he plays put a potty chair next to him and let him get used to it being there. after awhile introduce it more. eventually he'll be ready to do it. and once he is it'll be a breeze. when i potty trained my son it was easier then i ever thought. don't rush it but don't forget it either.
    wicccanderelict

Answer by wicccanderelict at 3:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• IMPORTANT!!! dont force him, if u force he will most likely will take longer to potty train. at this age he will let u know when he is ready. just keep trying in a good way, offer rewards, but NEVER try and force and/or scold him. he will retaliate and make it harder and will be scared. Pooty training takes time. Good luck
    angeleyes31376

Answer by angeleyes31376 at 7:02 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I actually didn't even use a potty for the first few weeks of training my two year old twins. It was warm weather, and we were fortunate to have a grass back yard. The boys ran in and out all day - and one day I just took off their diapers and told them to start going pee pee in the grass. They thought this was really fun. They were NOT interested in the potty, and especially not interested in going poopie on the potty (don't you just love this "potty talk") and so I bribed them with one fruit snack or m&m every time they went pee pee on the potty, and 10 if they went poopie. Soon, they were both on the potty ALL the time trying to poop. Very funny!
    Best of luck with this - as my mom says, "This too shall pass"
    maureen-3boys

Answer by maureen-3boys at 8:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Don't rush your son when he is ready he will do it. My son is 3 and is just now getting the concept. My husband and I were just like you and wanted to get him potty trained at 2 it just didn't work. Have your son try to sit on the potty every day. Also if he does go in the potty reward him with a sticker or something fun. My husband and I also clapped for our little man everytime he went in the potty which helped because of the positive attention he was getting from it. Good Luck!
    proudmommaof319

Answer by proudmommaof319 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my sons are; 22,20,18, i had the same problem with my sons until my ex mother-in-law asked if she could give me some advice. she made a bull's on toilet paper got a water gun, showed all my boys that its fun to hit the target standing up. then we worked on potty training at night it took lots of patience. once fully potty trained thats when they get to go shopping for big boy under wear. she also said that when potty training all three at once to start with the oldest. the others will follow in time. never compare oldest/youngest like say look at your big brother he is a big boy, why can't you do it.  get your hubby involved also. it took me almost 18 months with all of them. the biggest reward was when they got to go shopping with daddy instead of mommy for underwear. sure hope this helps you out.

ladyvalarie

Answer by ladyvalarie at 9:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Give it some time and try again. You can't make a toddler do anythign they dont want to do and all its going to do is make u more frustrated and him frustrated and u will get no where.
    katiebug840204

Answer by katiebug840204 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2008