Why do people come HERE for medical advice?

If you're on cafemom, you obviously have access to the internet. Why come HERE for medical advice, when there are so many other more appropriate sites?

DMac08

Asked by DMac08 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Health

• Some women aren't sure of the severity of their answer. They're hoping other women have experienced it and are looking for more personal advice. And a lot of the medical websites like Webmd.com are very vague. They give you diagnosis' to symptoms that are the least likely of what is happening. (Ovarian cancer for example) It's a lot easier to get more specific advice from people who've possibly experienced it. When in reality you should never look it up on the internet without getting medical advice from your doctor first. Doing your homework after you have a direction to go on is more important then finding out what it is yourself first.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I ask questions in hopes that a mom who has gone through the same thing or similar can give me first hand opinions but I never let it take the place of a dr....
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 10:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The same reason that people go on yahoo answers for medical advice. They are either A. Lazy and don't want to do the research themselves or they are B looking for advice from a current or previous medical professional.
    vampiremommy1

Answer by vampiremommy1 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have no problem giving advice to the scope of my knowledge, especially if it is something that has happened to myself, husband, children. If it has something to do with the ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation) I skip those questions. Since I have never had an IUD or ever been on birth control pills, I won't answer those questions either. I have never had abnormal bleeding so I cannot suggest what it could be. More often that not, my first suggestion is for someone to call their healthcare provider or include that in my answer. I will not diagnose, but suggest possibilities and hope the person can research it further. If I don't know what I am talking about, I will not offer advice.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Because on here I can be whoever I want to be so I'm Mommy_of_two388 MD
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010