Can a child with a continuing medical need be dropped from Medicaid?

My youngest daughter has severe asthma and is covered by medicaid. My employer does not offer insurance and I am afraid that she will get dropped because I make to much. Can they drop her if she has a medical condition and she needs it.

iluvtattoos

Asked by iluvtattoos at 11:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I don't know, if your employer doesn't offer coverage, maybe not. Check your state regulations on income limits, and see where you fall.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I really don't think so - atleast in OH where I live - no matter the income if you cannot provide ins for your minor child thru ur employer - they cover the kids just not the parents regardless of preexisting conditions. And in OH if you have been on medicaid for atleast 3 mos thay have to give u transitional medicaid for atleast 12 mos reg. of wether u can get coverage or not
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I live in VA and my daughter got dropped. I know here we moved up to whats called FAMIS. The pay braket is higher and you may have copays, but its better than paying for the insurance yourself. My daughter has a medical condition and when I got a raise, it put us over the limit and they dropped her with no warning at all. I was pissed. It took me forever to find coverage for her, but i finally did and I pay $145 a month for her, plus the copays, etc. Check with your advisor and see what other options you may have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daughter also has severe asthma and it's not that expensive to treat. She's on flovent and albuterol when needed. We only pay $32 a month for her meds and she only has to go to the doctor when she gets a flare up and needs prednisone which is another $11, and the doctor's office fee of $45.
    Can you make enough money to not qualify for medicaid and not afford that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes they can drop her. Her coverage is based upon your income not her medical conditions.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• No and even if your employer started providing insurance it wouldn't cover your daughter because she has a pre-existing condition. Even if they decide that you make too much money you would qualify for CHIP.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes they can drop her its based on income. My friends daughter was dropped and she is on heart medication that without it she would die. She was dropped because it is ordered that her father pay so much in child support which he does not but, because it is ordered they include it as income. SO, yes she can be dropped.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Well in NY they cant drop her, kids need insurance, so if they are denying her medicaid how about Health First is a low fee but they would be covered fully
    epy108

Answer by epy108 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I thank you for all of your answers. But to the second Anonymous poster (just incase you happen to pass back by here), I would love to be as lucky as you and only spend $11 on prednisone and only another $45 on a doctors visit, but here in utah we pay $60 or more for that medication and more than $100 for a last minute trip to our PCP. It is not that I make alot of money, but for my household size $1200 is sometimes considered too much for a family of 3 or more. And my daughters daily meds, meaning that she has to take every single day, well one of them, a nose spray, costs more than $120, and her pill that she has to take every single day, well that one costs $145. She also has a fast acting inhaler, albuterol, and that does cost less, but she doesnt need that everyday. So please do not pop off with some smart a@# answer like you know what you are talking about.
    iluvtattoos

Answer by iluvtattoos at 2:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Yeah they can drop her. They base by income alone.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2008