I'm afraid of overfeeding my 1 month old~ kind advice only please...

He eats 4 oz every 3 and 1/2 hours but acts like he wants to eat more often. If I give him more than 4 oz at 1 time he projectile vomits like thats too much, should I just give it to him more often? Or is what I amgiving him enough for that age?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• feed him more often so he doesnt eat as much per feeding.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• you cant overfeed an infant. if hes hungry, feed him. they all spit up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• A one month old will eat until he's not hungry anymore, and will let you know when he's hungry again. I don't think you can "overfeed" an infant, but call your pediatrician for advice.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would say give it to him whenever he is hungry...that's what I did with my son...he wanted to eat about every 2 hours so I let him. I pumped breastmilk because he had latching problems because he was tongue tied and got used to the bottle really quickly. But i still made plenty of milk and he would eat a TON. If he projectile vomits then he got too much or there was too much air in his stomach....so it would do better to increase the frequency rather than the quantity at each feeding.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I think my son was eatting 3-4 oz when he was a month old.... He is in the 50% for his age... My best friend's son eats 5oz... I think every baby is different... My son is now 6 months old and just started eating more then 6oz... I'd double check with your son's doctor just to ask... Every baby is so different...
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 11:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Feed him when you think he is hungry. Not even a doctor can know how much a baby is going to grow and when they will have growth spurts. If this is your first baby, try to find some good resources about different ways to burp the baby. It is pretty amazing how different a baby will be when they have to burp or pass gas and when they don't, poor little guys!! Also, you may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of reflux.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Invest in slow flow nipples to slow down the flow. Sometimes a baby just wants to suck for comfort or to fall asleep. It's easy to "overfeed" a formula fed baby because they get so much more fluid per suck. Talk with your doctors about your concerns and odds are he'll calm your mind, you seem to have an understanding of what your baby can handle. You can also take breaks during the feeding and burp and give his tummy time to recognize that it's full or almost full. Overweight babies are not healthy so keep an eye on your baby's weight but don't freak out if he's chubby, natural baby chub is healthy. The doctor can help you understand the difference.
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 11:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• you can't over feed. The hospital told me I wasn't allowed to feed my daughter except for every four hours because it would make her obese. She would finish her bottle and then scream til we could feed her again because she was still hungry, so I decided to feed her however much she wanted whenever she wanted and never looked back. My daughter will be a year old in a month and is 20 pounds. She is a fine, healthy, happy little girl.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010