Is 21 mouths to early to start potty training a boy?

I have a 5 yr old who didn't go potty until he was 3yrs. My 21 month old tells us when he has pee pee, pulls his pampers off and when his father or big brother goes he runs to the potty and pulls his shirt up and leans on the side of the toilet. Is he mimicking or is he ready?

lovealynn

Asked by lovealynn at 11:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try it out!! Make it no pressure and maybe he is ready or partly ready. My daughter started potty training at 20months because she seemed ready and we had great success with pee, but not poop. So now she wears panties but poops in a diaper still. At first I was worried about it, but I quickly learned that stress is counter-productive to potty training and that 1/2 potty trained is not a bad thing AT ALL!!
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 11:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That sounds like he is ready. Every child is going to be interested at a different time, theres no "normal" time to start. If he doesn't want to do it anymore after you introduce it as a regular thing just back off for awhile. I say give it a shot! :)
    LovableNeurotic

Answer by LovableNeurotic at 11:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• He is watching his older sibs go so it make sense for him to go.My youngest was done at the same time as his older brother - they are 17 moths apart but more like 12 mos as older boys was 3 months preemie.
    For boys when I started training them we put them on the pot backwards to hold the tank. They could turn around if they had to go #2 but just for #1 they sat backwards til they were coordinated enough to stand. Luckily we live a bit rural so there were also many a tree watered my their little hoses LOL
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I started potty training my LO when he was 19-20 months old. He is just now catching on more and more at 2 and a half. But he is going potty on the potty chair at least once a day and can take off his diaper on his own.
    kellyhanson140

Answer by kellyhanson140 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It's not too early! the united states pottys choldren exremely late. you may want to use the elimination communcation approach rather than modern methoods. my baby is 10 months and uses the potty with help and we don't use diapers at all. we have 1-2 accidents and often several days of no accidents. Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sounds like he is ready, he seems to be catching on from older brother and daddy. Lucky mom! But is he physically able to sit on potty chair and remain for as long as it takes to complete the job?
    missu208

Answer by missu208 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 5, 2010