High lead level

My son's pediatrician called and said his lead level came back high after a finger prick to check for anemia. he is 12mths. now we have to go back so they can draw blood from a vein to check again for the lead level. The ped. said the highest level is 10 but for my son age it should be five...my son's was 11. Have u heard of this? what happened in your situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My son had a lead level from a finger prick but the blood draw came back lower, still a little high but not like the finger prick. They just checked him every few month to make sure it was coming down.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes my daughter was high too for a while we lived in an old home & I think it all came from that she never ate the paint or anything I think she was just breathing it in.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It can also come from the water he's drinking. Buy bottled, if you think that is it. Lead is not something you want to play around with because it can cause permanent neurological injury. Your doctor will tell you what to do next. So sorry you are going through this, it must be scary as hell.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Have you heard about the lead in baby's food? Like the gerber.. also applesauce, Apple juice. Google it.. It was a big deal that we were talking about in one of my cafe mom groups. It was amazing at all the things that have lead in them. Im a little freaked out.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• My son's lead level was 1. Do you live in a house built before 1978? If so, they used lead paint in the house. Even if it's been repainted, the big problem is lead dust. The doors and the windows will rub the paint layers away and cause the lead paint to become dust which is then inhaled.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2010