how do i help my daughter with bedtime anxiety?

my daughter is 2, and we just moved her to a toddler bed, and she has a big fear of monsters, and being left in the room alone.... her dad is in the navy and it seems to get worse when he is gone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My three boys have had on and off bedtime anxiety for a while. There are a few things that have worked for me. Getting into a good, consistent routine (even though its hard to do every night) - getting on pj's, brushing teeth etc, and then reading a book, praying or singing a song, talking about our favorite part of our day. And then turn out the light, close the door while you are still in there with her. Get down on the bed with her, rub her back and help her to relax for a few minutes. As I get up to leave, if they are still anxious, I then whisper the question: "Do you want me to come and check on you in 10 minutes?" They nod their little heads enthusiastically, and I say that I will. Sometimes I forget, but I try to do it - and if they are still awake (which is unusual) then they enjoy one more hug from me. But most often they are fast asleep.  Best wishes to you ;)

maureen-3boys

Answer by maureen-3boys at 9:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008