How do i get my 3 yr old interested in learnign his colors and abc's

we have decided to focuse on one color at a time and go over and over with it, but minuits after he seems to not remember anything. is this normal for boys of this age. when will be progress.

lexra353

Asked by lexra353 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know that when we purchased the V-Smile baby system my SS went crazy and learned his alphabet, colors, numbers, and shapes all in the matter of a month and on top of that he is autistic and four.

He LOVES his V-Smile!!!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• ...my 3 y/o is the same way...but...she hides that she knows it, she occasionally slips but to other people, they don't think she knows any of it. Kids are smarter and sneakier than you think.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:22 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I think you should just work on having fun with colors and the alphabet rather than trying to teach them to him. For instance, color a picture together, you say "Hmmm, what color should I color the clowns nose, orange or green?" He says "blue", you say "right on, your good at picking colors!" and then, "Can you give me the blue crayon?" I also recommend teaching him the sounds of the letter's instead of their proper names because it seems like when they start reading they will say the name of the letter instead of the sound. You can say, this letter makes the (aaaa) sound, can you think of any words that start with aaaaa? Apple, alligator, arm, alphabet, ant, and so on. Cheer him on 100% of the way, and try to find some people that will cheer him on learning his new skills like his dad, grandma, friends, ect

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I work with one color for the week. Get worksheets, multiples and color a little each day, pulling out only the one color of crayons. using the one color of paint, and pointing out the rest of the week things of that color. He should have it by then, if not go on to another color come back to it later.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:23 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I ask him what color is that car what color is your shirt all the time about everything and than when he gets it right i act really excited high fives hugs jump up and down and stuff same with letters and stuff.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 4:29 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• It will start slow too. One day he'll act like he doesn't know, and the next he's telling you the colors of EVERYTHING! That's how my sweetie did. Just give him time. They all learn at their own pace. I know it's hard when it seems like everyone else's kids are more advanced. (I know this the hard way; potty training woes) But remember they are their own person. Kids catch on in time. :)
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 1:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my son started doing abc's at 2 ( thanks sesame street) even though he went from A B C F G ..lol he's alot better now (he's 3) and knows his most of his abc's and can count to 9 and knows most colors and animals..t.v's probably not the best way to teach them but if he has a character he likes they might make books and educational toys like they do for sesame street and other children's shows. and just make sure you talk to him about it..like just ask him to repeat you..it was really easy for my son so i guess i'm not much help...but good luck!
    xdeviouskittyxx

Answer by xdeviouskittyxx at 5:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Don't do it as a drill. Play with blue playdoh, blue crayons, point out everything blue you see. But don't constantly question him "what color is this?" Just say, let's play with the blue playdoh or look at that big blue truck.
    Do the same thing for the letters. Work on one at a time and point it out during the day. You can even get letter cookie cutters or find other ways to make letters during playdoh time. I've also found the Fridge Phonics toy to be great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Make it fun!! For learning ABC's try out this free website www.starfall.com . My kids love this site! For colors and shapes, just be descriptive when talking to him. He'll pick up on it really fast. If you want him to pick up a toy, ask him if he could pick up the green toy beside the couch...that kind of thing.  The dollar stores have cute flashcards for colors and shapes. 

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I'm going through the same thing. My 3 yr old dosen't feel like learning his colors or anything. We make a game out of it. Just yesterday when we were driving I told him to find things that were yellow and soon the whole car was looking for things that were yellow. He has a prob with counting and we're still working on that one. DH is a hunter and he loves going with dad in the woods so we started counting the deer heads on the wall. He seemed to get it and I don't push too hard. We try for a while and then take a break. Try making games out of learning and he may start learning. Count his cars when you're playing with him.
    mom3cutieboyz

Answer by mom3cutieboyz at 12:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008