is it safe to eat spicy food while nursing?

esalcanc

Asked by esalcanc at 12:33 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always heard it could get into the milk and make the baby fussy, but that was about twenty five years ago!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• yeah its safe.... why wouldnt it be?

i ate spicy foods allll the time while nursing nothing happened. my daughter wasnt irritated by it.. she loves spicy food too, she tries eating tapatio...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, it is safe, but your baby might not like it. Things you eat make your milk taste different. And it is possible that it could make her a little fussy (but it won't physically HARM her).

You could always just make sure you have a little milk saved up, then give something spicy a try and see how she reacts. If she doesn't like it, or it makes her fussy, you have milk stored for hungry baby. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:46 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You can eat whatever you want. The baby will get used to different tastes. If the baby doesn't eat will one day (not likely), will make up for it the next. That's better than feeding bottles.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yeah I'm with Gail
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you have a newborn baby, it might make them fussy because of gassiness, but that's true of lots of foods (brocoli, onions, tomatoes etc). You never know what can upset a newborn's belly. However, I wasn't one to restrict myself with foods. I ate what I wanted and my daughter was always fine. So I say go for it!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• There are no limits on what you eat.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I did and my toddler loves spicy foods, now.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 9:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010