Why is it considered rude to cut up all of your meat at the beginning of the meal?

OK - I'm lazy. Move the fork to the left hand, pick up the knife, cut a bite, put down the knife, switch the fork back to the right hand, eat that bite, repeat. Why is it rude to cut it all up at once?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My parents taught me that custom when I was young, and I believe it's European in origin if I'm not mistaken. I have eaten in many restaurants, and this custom is so ingrained in me that I never eat steak any other way. Even when I'm at home I do this, but I guess it all depends on how you were raised as far as table manners, and where you are eating at the time. Yes I am much more careful about table manners in upscale places where people ARE watching, like formal wedding receptions where you don't know many people than I am at home or at Mc Donald's. I don't think it's considered rude, just not customary.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 4:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• who said that is rude? I say eat how you want to eat! lately if we have steak me or hubby cuts it up for me so if LO gets fussy I can hold her and eat at the same time!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• .......dunno, cause the meat will go colder faster and all the time the cook put in it will have gone to waste cause cold meat just doesn't taste the same?...could be kind like it's an insult to put sauce or ketchup on your steak!..no clue.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 1:21 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Umm I say eat comfortably because your hungry not to show off how you can eat lol. People actually pay big bucks to learn etiquette to eat! I'm not paying attention to how the other person is cutting their steak or if their using the salad fork for the salad and all that nonsense...I'm paying attention to eating my food. I don't think that's rude really. Some things like smacking loudly and obnoxiously or just being disgusting at the table are rude.

TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I had never heard that it was rude to cut all your meat up at once. Hmmm
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 2:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I guess I am rude then cause I always cut all my meat up before I even start eating.
    JJnMadisMomma

Answer by JJnMadisMomma at 2:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• ive always cut my meat up at the beginning of meal time too..its just easier!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I eat it with my hands because its hard for me to cut the meat with a knife and fork, lol;]
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 3:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• idk, i dont think its rude, i dont personally cut up my meat before i start eating but i do with my spegetti, my hubby calls it my crack head spegetti.lol its just eiser.
    bennysmom519

Answer by bennysmom519 at 5:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Who cares? You are concerned about cutting up meat and what people are going to think? As long as you chew with your mouth closed I think anything beyond that is fine. Don't worry about what other people are going to think, do things the way you are comfortable and what is convenient for you or whatever works to match your lifestyle. You are putting way too much thought into something that doesn't matter.
    MeganMack

Answer by MeganMack at 7:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008