What is it you can put on fruit (especially apples) to keep them from turning brown?

juicebox503

Asked by juicebox503 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I know you can put them in salt water to keep them from turning brown but you'll want to rinse them off before eating. I don't know what the other stuff is called that you can use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I've used lemon juice on apples to keep them from browining. I think lime juice or orange juice works too -- anything acidic.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:34 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• The companies who package sliced applees use vitamin c to keep them from turning brown, so orange juice.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• *apples
    LolosMom

• I put them in ice water in my fridge...keeps them fresh and crisp for days after being cut.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 4:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• you can also dip them in sprite - after cutting apples, pour a can of sprite soda over them and drain - no funky taste and they don't turn brown - that's an old pampered chef trick :)
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 11:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Anything with citric acid will work: lemon juice, lime juice, pineapple juice, lemon-lime soda (like sprite or 7-Up) etc. You can also get vitamin C tablets and dissolve them in water. You can also buy something called "Fruit Fresh" which is essentially powdered vitamin C in a shaker bottle for convenience. It doesn't affect the flavor the way lemon or salt would, and is usually used by home canners.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Put them in water and lemon juice in the refrig!!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I agree with AshJoe05 it works
    MamaAlderman_2

Answer by MamaAlderman_2 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Lemon juice
    ljclay

Answer by ljclay at 6:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2008