What is your definition of peace?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When it comes to religion I would define peace as 'am I at peace with myself and the decisions I've made'
    At the end of the day can I look myself in the mirror and be happy with the way I treat my family, strangers, and myself.
    Am I impeccable with my word and am I at peace with myself.
    If I died tomorrow could I look into God's eyes or not...
    Good question...food for thought. Thanks.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 12:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• lack of worry
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 1:43 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I wonder if peace is the pursuit of Love?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Peace = love, equality, harmony, and tolerance. IMO
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I've always liked this definition:

"It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 8:41 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It means inner calm to me. Where no matter what emotions or things are swirling all around you the core of you is calm and secure that things will be alright.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• when i think of the word 'peace', i also think of '..in the midst of a storm'. IMO peace would be that feeling of 'ok-edness' (ha! new word for me!) when things aren't going well, to put it gently.

i especially like deadheadjen's definition. :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• solitude
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• deadheadjen's is a favorite of mine too. It's posted on my refrigerator.

I'm not sure that peace can have one specific definition though. It's kind of like trying to define love. We all know what it is & when it's absent, but it's difficult to come up with a definition. It's more than just a lack of conflict. I think all types of peace come from the same source though. Spiritual peace, familial peace, world peace, etc...they all start as inner peace. When you create a place of calmness, self-respect, self-love, & compassion & tolerance for your own flaws within yourself, it is easier to extend that tolerance, respect, love, compassion, & calmness to others. When others feel valued & heard because of your actions, they can in turn create their own inner peace. The cycle continues & flows into our interactions with everything & everyone around us. I guess that the cycle itself, that whole process, is my "definition" of peace.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 4:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd describe it as a lack of worry, conflict, and negative feelings.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2010