We want to get rid of the landline, but I have to have the internet and I don't understand cable modem, wireless, etc.

I go to school online, but my mom and I never use the house phone except for me to be online. We want to get rid of the house phone since we both just use our cell phones, but I know NOTHING about any of the other internet connection options. I have no idea what a cable modem is, how much it costs, etc. My comp is wireless compatible, but I thought I just needed to get a wireless modem and the people at best buy said I still needed a phone line for it. The point is to get rid of the phone bill and replace it with something that's about the same cost that we actually USE!

Mers1803

Asked by Mers1803 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Entertainment

• Cable internet (which is also sometimes called a High-Speed connection) is just an internet connection that goes through your cable box. You DO NOT need a telephone connection. All you have to do is call your local provider (I use comcast and it is $50.00 per month plus the cost of cable. I dont know if you have comcast where you live, but I know that there is some sort of cable provider) They will come and set it up for you. Basically, what they do is connect a modem, which is a little box, to your cable box and connect a wireless router, which is another little box, to the modem.

The wireless router then sends a signal to a little card that is inside your laptop to connect it to the internet. If your laptop is wireless compatible, you will be able to use your computer anywhere in your house with out having to directly connect to anything. You turn your computer on, and it is already connected to the internet.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 3:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I have been using a cable modem for the past five years and never had to use a telephone line.

It is hooked up with your cable or can be hooked up alone with your cable jack. The cable modem for internet usually comes with the service that you chose but since you want to go wireless you will just need to purchase a wireless router to hook up to the cable modem provided. A wireless router sends the signal to computers in the area that are capable of picking up a wireless signal. They start at about $50
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• ill do cable or wireless, i just know that my comp is wireless compatible. i don't have any idea if it's compatible with cable. I mean, i really know nothing about this, iv'e heard so much, and everything i read just confuses me. I have AOL and I know a lot of people hate it, but i love it. Yet people say that if i get a cable modem I have to get a new internet service provider, whoever the cable company uses and that i'll be paying for AOL and then also i have to pay each month for the cable modem...my comp is a laptop sooo i don't know if that changes whether i can have cable or not...like i said i don't know anything about this stuff at all..
    Mers1803

Answer by Mers1803 at 2:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• As far as AOL goes, AOL does not provide a high-speed internet service. You can easily cancel your AOL internet service, and you can still check your AOL email and chat on AIM by going to www.aol.com. So, I'm not sure what the people you are talking about were thinking when they told you that you would still have to pay for AOL, unless you just don't want to cancel your service with AOL.

Hope this helps.. If you have anymore questions let me know.
    GavinsMommii

• Call your cable company. I have Time Warner Cable internet and no landline phone. I also have a wireless router or if you only have one compter you can just get a wireless modem. Either option you can get through the cable company, if they have cable internet service in your area.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I've had a cable modem pretty much since they were invented LOL.
    First, you'll need to find out if it's available in your area. If it is, then you don't really need to know anything...They install it and get you all set up, all you have to do is use it! Seriously, in the last 10 years I have had to have them to my home only twice. It's a pretty reliable way to access the internet.

You can also get a wireless router, which would allow you to use the internet from any computer in the house, but if you're the only one who uses it, it's better, security wise, not to use one. People in your area can piggyback on your internet if you have one, sometimes causing problems by using your bandwith to send spam, which will slow your connection a great deal.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Oh, I forgot to mention price: The price varies depending on a couple things. One is your location, another is the level of the package you get (the faster the speed, the higher the price), and still another is whether you rent a modem from them (usually around $9/month) or buy one. If you are going to have it long term, it's cheaper in the long run to purchase your own modem.
    As for the speed, I have the fastest available through my provider, and it is $59/month.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Wireless on your computer means you can insert a wireless card into the modem and get internet service where evr you go. Verizon makes a wireless card. With cable you are hooked up to a internet cable box. I have cable. I cancelled my AOL account and when I hooked up to cable I went to aol.com I still have the same AOL I had before but now I get it for free. I can connect to the internet through my aol or through Internet Explorer. Just type in DSL in your browser and compare services.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I forgot to mention, I also have a router in my house. Currently I have 2 computers connected to it. One is for my personal use the other I use for business. It allows me to be on 2 different AOL screen names at the same time and my screen names are all connected to the same AOL account. My router is a cable router that I had a friend install for me. He set it up so that I can have a computer set up in 4 different locations and go online at all 4 locations at the same time.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If you want to get rid of your landline I would get a cable modem either through Comcast or Verizon. The ones you buy at the store are for DSL and you will need the phone line. If you get a cable modem they will set it up for you.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2008