Should Lifeguards be allowed with their phones while on duty ?

I took my kids to the community pool today for a family birthday party,and I was pretty shocked at what I saw. There was numerous times that I seen the LIFE GUARDS texting and with their back turned away from the pool where of course is where all of the kids were.At one point the 3 of them were in a circle talking.I took pics and I plan on contacting the owner and I plan on looking into the laws,I just dont see why these people are allowed to bring these things to work when they are responsible for childrens lives.What would you do,isnt this something that should be dealt with & taken serious?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/01/earlyshow/con

4mom247

Asked by 4mom247 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i could understand having a phone at reach in case 911 needed to be called but that should be the ONLY reason for them to be on a phone in in case of an emergency
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with Shay.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:02 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• o wow what pool do you go too? This NEVER happens at our city pools! Thats crazy they have to be alert and paying attention at all times!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:04 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is awful, I would definately see about doing something about it. I doubt there are any laws about it yet, I mean look at how many states and cities still don't have laws against texting and driving. I don't think that is exceptable at all; by the time they finished texting and talking it would be too late to save someone who was drowning without any horrible side effects from lack of oxygen.
    ceemeefeemee

Answer by ceemeefeemee at 1:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• wow, unacceptable!!!!! I hope you contact the owner
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• no, lifeguards have a huge responsiblity watching for potentially dangerous situations in the water and out of it, stay off your cell phones.
    missu208

Answer by missu208 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No they need to not be on the phone.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:37 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• that's like drinking and driving it shouldn't be done but it is still being done. i would have called their attention or talk to a supervisor.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is unacceptable and a potentially fatal problem. I would definitely contact the owner! If they don't give a rats ass, I would remind them that a law suit (should someone get hurt) would be a lot more expensive than finding new employee's, or training the one's they have. Also, you have the right to revoke your membership for such gross negligence. I hope it wouldn't go that far, but you never know. Good luck, that is scary.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2010

• Only to use to phone out for an emergency and in that case the job can give them a phone if they wanted them to have one.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 11:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2010