Was Queen Esther already married to her cousin Mordecai?

Some scholars state that they were cousins and some Jewish scholars state that they were actually married but Mordecai told her not to tell them that they were relatives. Is it possible that she was married to her cousin Mordecai?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Uh no the reason why he told her not to tell them they were related is because they were Jewish, they already knew he was and if they found out she was his cousin they would have known she was
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes I think that Jewish people believe (and I could be wrong so I can be debated on this) that Mordecai and Esther were husband and wife so she was actually forced to have sex with the king. So she was not sinning. However when she had to take the initiative to go to him, she leaves the category of being forced into relations with the King. She now is considered consenting to be with him. This is eluded in the words that Esther says, "I will go into the king, not in accordance to the law, and as I am lost, so, I must be lost." (Esther 4:16) Esther in effect is saying to Mordecai that she realizes that what she is doing is not correct, and she stands the possibility of being totally lost forever to Mordecai, but she has not other choice.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• If you read the scripture correctly you will she she is talking about the Jews.. and that passage is about her asking Mordecai to gather all the Jews to pray on her behalf. The lost part has to do with going to the King... in those days you had to be called in to see the King and if you just happened to walk in you better hope he holds out his scepter to you... which means favor. In her case after the intercession that is what he did. Had he not.. she would have been lost.. and possibly killed and all the jews would have been killed as well by the hand of Haman .
    Read the book in its entirety and you will make sense of it. There is no mention of Mordecai and Esther being married. Her parents died when she was young. He took her on and raised her.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Right Shaneagle, that is also what I have read and have been taught. However the Jewish people believe and teach their children what I mentioned above. Because even Mary and Joseph were cousins right? As were Rebekah and Jacob and who else.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes, 35yamom, I just took a course on The Women of the Bible (a Jewish course) and I just finished the story of Esther and it says according to commentaries, Esther and Mordecai were married.

LovePeaceHope

Answer by LovePeaceHope at 3:01 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Oh, and I think it said according to one opinion in the commentaries, so there may be differing opinions on whether or not they were married.

LovePeaceHope

Answer by LovePeaceHope at 3:28 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• never heard that before...kinda gross seeing as Mordecai was a lot older than her. if this was the case wouldnt Esther be a polyandrist, since she was married to two men at the same time? very rare.

ive read Esther several times and never got anything out of it that made me think they were married.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:27 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That would have been impossible as it would've been considered adultery her marrying the king. Adultery is a severe crime by Jewish law, so Mordechai wouldn't have encouraged Esther to committ it.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• No, her parents were killed when she was young and he raised her as a father would, he was actually like her father figure.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Well I think that as long as Esther didnt go to the King willingly then she was considered raped and so was not committing adultery.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2010