sleeping habits and musts for a 5 month old?!

how many hours of sleep total? how many naps do I allow? do I just let her sleep when she wants or do i limit the naps so she will sleep good at night? she's stubborn with sleeping in her crib...she falls asleep in my arms but when i lay her in bed she wakes up....she gets hysterical with CIO method...not my way to go...what to do?!

oh and she is excursively breastfed and gets some rice cereal at night as well.

lilbabybugs

Asked by lilbabybugs at 1:23 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• www.kidshealth.org
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Does she use a pacifier? If so, or not, or whatever your decision on that is, perhaps that might calm her down.

I also have about a 5 month old and she sleeps amazingly. She takes about 2 sometimes 3 naps (1 or 2 short ones and then 1 long nap) and she also sleeps through the night. She's eating baby food now and she has that about 2 times a day.

I also have a 2 year old and he goes to bed at 8pm every night so after he goes to bed we turn down the lights and set a calming mood.

Have you also tried maybe giving her a bath or figuring out another routine instead of you holding her to fall asleep? I mean, mine used to do that too be we found other ways to help her fall asleep on her own and it mostly involved her pacifier, her blanket, and us rubbing her tummy, head, or back.

Just thought I'd let you know what I did. Good luck with what you do! If you need help just send me a msg!
    MommaCassE

Answer by MommaCassE at 2:40 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• At 5 months my kids took 3 naps. They woke up around 7, took a nap from 9:30-11 or so, nap from 1:30-3:30, nap between 5:30-6:30. And then bedtime was 8. It worked for my kids, but we had been kind of working towards that schedule since birth (I learned what worked with my oldest and then pretty much followed that routine with my other 3, now 4). I always laid mine down awake, but very drowsy. I would let them "fuss" but never scream, if they started fussing loud I would pat their back, rub their tummy, whatever they needed to help them get to sleep without me holding them. Gradually I was able to limit my role in their getting to sleep and they learned to self soothe.
    A flexible routine worked well for me and my kids - it allowed me to schedule my appointments, errands, etc at times when I knew they wouldn't be cranky, hungry, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:03 AM on Aug. 2, 2010