Which is better to drive?

On a 7 hour (not counting stops & traffic) drive which will go through DC, Richmond & Raleigh w/ only oneself, toddler & dog...which is better? Leave in the early morning-drive all day, leave at naptime (1ish) stop at dinner -- then drive, or take nap w/ child start driving at bedtime & get there at or before dawn?
Remember all bathroom stops must include a dog walk & diaper change.
Also the next day there is no chance to sleep in past 7am.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 1:31 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Travel

• I would drive at night myself, it's always worked better for us doing it that way.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would leave in the early morning, but that's just me.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:34 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would drive during the day if possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:35 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Having traveled that route and I would say hands down that the night time way is better for traffic reasons. Be very careful where you stop for those diaper breaks and doggy walks. That area was tough back in the day, I don't even want to think about how it is now. I stayed at a high priced and well known hotel in DC. There was a sign in the lobby that read: "We cannot guarantee your safety while staying at our hotel" We had a room on the third floor and the windows still had burglar bars on the windows! YIKES

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would leave very early in the morning. If you drive all day, as soon as you get there you will be wiped out and they will have rested and be wide awake. If you leave at 6am, then you will get there in the early afternoon and then you will have a chance for them to get tired again before bedtime.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:38 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Leave early am when you are rested.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Leave super early after a good nights rest. If you are not going to be able to sleep following driving through the night then you will just be miserable if you go in that direction. Leaving in the middle of the day is not usually a good thing because you have already expended some energy. I drove across country with my little ones by myself and I did best when I sent to bed around 8 and woke up around 3 or 4 and then just drove.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I'd travel during the day because it's safer in case of an emergency situation. Plus, as a driver, you tend to be more awake and alert during daytime hours.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• So leaving early seems to be the way most want to go... what do you recommend I take so I can sleep the night before (before trips I am so nervous I sleep maybe 2 hours) that wont make me an unsafe driver the next day?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I would leave early in the morning. Like around 5 or 6 am.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2010