My six year old daughter asked me today, "If Jesus didn't go to heaven when he died for three days - Where did he go?" Does anyone know? Where did Jesus go when he died for three days?

He was separeted from God. He didn't get back together with God the Father 'till he ascended . . . he took on all the sin of the world . . . but WHERE did he go?

jollymommy

Asked by jollymommy at 2:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Different churches preach different doctrine about this. I was told by the Mormons that this was the time during which He was seen by the Native Americans, who spoke of the "Great Spirit" and His Son. A baptist preacher told me that because Jesus became sin for us, that he went to Hell for those three days. I have been taught by Pentecostal preachers that He went to preach to the souls in spirit prison and get the Keys of Life and Death back from Satan who had won them from Adam during the original sin , which is backed by the scripture 1Peter 18-19 That is all I have been taught about this , so that's all I know. Sorry if it's no help.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• That's actually a big help. Thank you. I asked the religous group because I was hoping for different views. As far as I know, I've never heard my own pastor preach on this subject. I might be asking him this Sunday to find out what our Church believes.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 2:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Acording to the bible as I was taught and as I have studied because Jesus became sin for us, that he went to Hell for those three daysto get the Keys of Life and Death back from Satan .
    JesusNurse01

Answer by JesusNurse01 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• her*, not him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• To Anonymous 3:00 AM
    She asked me and I said, "That's a very good question. I don't know. I'll have to look that up in the Bible and ask our friends and mentors."
    You're right, I should know what our church believes in, but that particular question has never crossed my mind before, and as I stated earlier, to my knowledge, my pastor has never preached on this subject.
    How could I possilbly know the answer to a question I've never heard addressed or even thought of before?
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 3:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• very good question for a 6yo:) I dont know the answer but would be interested>
    Wow2boyz

Answer by Wow2boyz at 5:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• If you belong to a church that uses the Apostle's Creed, then the general teaching is that he went to hell or that he went to the dead or to the grave...

"...was crucified, died, and was buried;
    he descended into hell (some versions say decended to the dead).
    On the third day he rose again..."

...the translation of the Latin (descendit ad ínferos) varies a bit, and it has changed form from denomination to denomination, and the interpretation varies a bit as well, but most churches use this as one of their statements of faith.

For exactly what your congregation teaches, I would ask your pastor.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Also, you might look at Matthew 12:40, its the only verse I remember off hand--though there are others that allude to where Jesus was and what he was doing--that mentions it specifically.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:00 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Jesus rested in the grave until His ressurection. The Bible does not teach that people go straight to Heaven when they die, this is a man-made tradition. The Bible says that God alone has immortality. (1 Timothy 6:16) All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23) What about King David, "a man after God's own heart" ? Peter said of him :“Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. (Acts 2:29)

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:15 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Since Jesus took on human form and tasted death for us, He died the death of sinners. (Hebrews 2:9)
    The first lie ever told was concerning the state of the dead---
    (Genesis 3:1-4) 1 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, “Has God indeed said, ‘You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?”
    2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ‘You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’”
    4 Then the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:18 AM on Oct. 4, 2008