s/o: Allah

Do Muslims worship the God of Abraham? Is Allah the same as Jehovah, Elohim, Yahweh, Adonai, HaShem, etc.?

If you do not believe they are the same, why not?

LovePeaceHope

Asked by LovePeaceHope at 3:47 AM on Aug. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• yes they do, b/c if you ask most Muslims, they believe they are worshiping the God of Abraham. to me a Muslim's word on who they worship is worth far more than Islam's history or what scholars say. if a Muslim believes they are worshiping the God that i worship, who am i to say they are wrong?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Sorry, but they only THINK they are worshipping the same god. There was a god named Allah in the pre-Islamic paganreligion that came before Islam. If they are so critical of everything Pagan and strive to separate themselves from it, why does their God have the same name?  Allah is a purely Arabic term used in reference to an Arabian deity and is found nowhere in Greek or Hebrew or anywhere in the Bible.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Yes I believe they do. Though I guess that means I can't really answer what you asked. Though I think many have an issue with it because the Quran.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:06 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• OH OP I know a few others that do. I will get the links tomorrow for you to show you. If I forget remind me if your interested.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:07 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• from Answers.com The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob was known in the Hebrew language by four consonants that translate into our language as YHWH. Many scholars feel that the bname may have been pronounced "Yahweh" in the Hebrew language. The English equvalent to Yahewh is Jehovah.
    Side point: We do that withother Biblical names as well, for instance it is believed that Jesus name may have been pronounced Yeshua in Hebrew, but scholars are not really sure how it was pronounced either.
    Interestingly though, The word Allah is not actually a name at all. It is an arabic word meaning "God." The word God is not a name, but rather it is a title, like President, Chief, Judge, etc.
    The word Allah has come to be considered the name for God in the Muslim religion, but it never was a name.
    In that sence, you could say yes, Allah was the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, because Allah means "God." cont.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Jesus is in the Old Testament too. And the only connection that the majority of the Middle eastern people have to Abraham is that they come from the line of Ishmeal. So the people may be connected, but their religion is not.

That's funny I never saw Jesus there. Where pray tell? Also NP is right Islam starts with the OT, then branches off.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I honestly don't know because I haven't went to any heavens recently to find out, but I think in all respects Allah is God to the Muslim community. You could ask this same question about every god name for each religion.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:51 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• I agree with dominoquews
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:53 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• That is true, but the reason I ask is because Judaism, Christianity and Islam are called the faiths of Abraham/Abrahamic Religions - All three claim to worship the God of Abraham (No other religions do as far as I know) but it seems that Christians insist that Muslims do NOT worship the God of Abraham, and I have never heard an explanation as to why they believe Jews and Christians do, but Muslims do not.

LovePeaceHope

Comment by LovePeaceHope (original poster) at 3:58 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Thanks hot-mama, I would like to know the others that do :)

LovePeaceHope

Comment by LovePeaceHope (original poster) at 4:10 AM on Aug. 2, 2010